MANILA, Philippines – Zero waste advocacy group EcoWaste Coalition organized a parade against firecrackers in Project 6, Quezon City, to discourage the public from using firecrackers in welcoming 2017.
Called “Iwas Paputoxic sa Project 6,” the parade was organized together with the Project 6 Barangay Council, the Office of Councilor Beth Dalarmente, and other local groups on Friday, December 30. (READ: Minimize your holiday trash, eco group reminds Filipinos)
Around 500 residents and members of the local fire and police forces joined the parade, which aimed to keep Project 6 free from firecracker-related injuries and fires during the New Year celebrations. (READ: 105 pre-New Year’s injuries reported)
They brought mock giant firecrackers with warning signs that read “dangerous,” “deadly,” and “dirty.”
The parade participants also brought alternative noisemakers, like recycled maracas from empty pineapple juice cans, shakers from used plastic bottles with pebbles, horns, and kitchen utensils like pots and lids.
“As 2016 is about to end, we urge our community leaders and their constituents to go all out for a harmless celebration of the New Year sans firecrackers,” said Aileen Lucero, EcoWaste Coalition national coordinator Aileen Lucero said.
“For QC residents, we earnestly request them not to buy firecrackers and, with the money saved, help the victims of recent fires in the city, particularly in Barangay Pinyahan, that left some 1,000 families homeless this New Year,” she added.
Barangay Project 6 Chairperson Vicente Honorio Llamas V also warned that using firecrackers put residents at risk of fire.
“Firecrackers are not really cheap considering their health and environmental impacts and the costly property damage due to fires. Money spent for firecrackers are better spent for food and other household needs,” he said.
Among the groups who participated in the Iwas Paputoxic sa Project 6 are as follows:
- Barangay Project 6 Lupon
- Bureau of Fire Protection
- Ernesto Rondon High School Students and Parent-Teacher Association Members
- Red Cross Ernesto Rondon High School Chapter
- Federation of Senior Citizens
- Kariton Klasrum Group
- Kiwanis Club
- Knights of Columbus
- Luntiang Kababaihan
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish Lay Ministers
- Police Community Precinct Masambong Station 2
- Pet Lovers Advocates of Project 6
- Project 6 Basketball Association
- Project 6 Dancers
- Project 6 Elementary School SPTA
- Project 6 Elementary School Boy/Girl Scouts
- Project 6 Task Force Youth
- Project 6 Tennis Club
- Project 6 TESDA Group
- Project 6 Waste Management Group
- Rotary Club of North Edsa D3780
- Tambuli Group
- Trippers Philippines Group 2
- 55-ers Sunday Club