‘Pablo’ kills 2: NDRRMC

Rappler.com
(UPDATED) The NDRRMC says two have died due to 'Pablo'

STRONG TYPHOON. 'Pablo' damages southern Philippines as Filipinos flock to evacuation centers. Photo by Jef Maitem

MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Typhoon “Pablo” claimed two lives after it made landfall on Davao Oriental and Misamis Oriental early Tuesday morning, December 4, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said. 

NDRRMC Undersecretary Benito Ramos identified them as Merlinda Balante, 60, of Manay, Davao Oriental and Jigger Gumunit, 30, from Panaon, Misamis Oriental. Both died after being hit by a fallen tree as “Pablo” lashed the area, Ramos said.

Senior Supt Rommil Mitra, provincial police director of Davao Oriental, earlier reported that a certain Rossel Anong, 22, from Caraga, Davao Oriental also died after slipping. But Ramos could not confirm this as of 3 pm Tuesday.

Earlier on Tuesday, Mitra said a fallen tree in Manay, Davao Oriental injured two people at around 4 am. 

Pablo has also triggered floods and landslides in various parts of the Philippines, with the typhoon packing winds of 165 km/h – stronger than those brought by Tropical Storm Sendong, which killed over 1,400 people in 2011. 

Due to Pablo, over 40,000 Filipinos have flocked to evacuation centers as part of the government’s objective to survive the disaster with zero casualties. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.