MANILA, Philippines – Vice President Leni Robredo rejected as “fake news” the claims of former senator Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr that he was only months away from the vice presidency.
Robredo made the remarks during her weekly radio show on RMN-DZXL 558 on Sunday, October 8.
Robredo said Marcos, whom she defeated in the May 2016 polls and who is now contesting the results of the elections, has long been claiming in various speaking engagements and pronouncements that he was soon to win the vice presidency following the electoral protest he filed against Robredo.
“Medyo nakakatawa iyon kasi kung titingnan natin iyong kanyang mga speeches saka mga deklarasyon – mula pa last year, pagka-eleksyon – parati niyang sinasabing madali lang. Madali lang daw, uupo na siya. Pero…parang nafe-fake news yata tayo,” Robredo said.
(It’s a bit funny because if we take a look at his speeches and declarations – from last year, after the elections – he’s always saying it will be soon. Soon, he will sit as vice president. But it seems like it’s fake news.)
Robredo pointed out that the Supreme Court, sitting as the Presidential Electoral Tribunal, has upheld the integrity of the 2016 polls, junking Marcos’ first cause of action for the electoral protest.
She also brought up Marcos’ plan to no longer present testimonial evidence or witnesses to support his allegations of cheating in 36,465 clustered precincts.
“Iyong sabi niyang ang dami niyang mga testigo sa dayaan. Eh ngayon siya na ang nagsasabi na wala na siyang testigo, kaya gustong sabihin na iyong sabi niya dati na marami siyang testigo, ano iyon? Ngayon sinasabi niya hindi na siya magpe-present ng testigo,” she said.
(He said before that he had many witnesses to the cheating. Now he’s saying he no longer has witnesses, so what he said before about having many witnesses, what was that? Now he’s saying he won’t present witnesses anymore.)
Marcos’ lawyer George Garcia however maintained that accusations of electoral fraud can still be proven through a ballot recount.
Last Thursday, October 5, Marcos said at a forum in Quezon City that the manual recount for contested ballots can take only two months, and that the results of his electoral protest against Robredo will be known within the year. – Rappler.com