Kuwait court sentences couple to death for Demafelis murder – source

Agence France-Presse
Kuwait court sentences couple to death for Demafelis murder – source
(UPDATED) The death sentence against the employers of slain Filipino worker Joanna Demafelis can still be appealed if the couple returns to Kuwait, according to a source

KUWAIT CITY (UPDATED) – A Kuwaiti court on Sunday, April 1, sentenced in absentia a Lebanese man and his Syrian wife to death by hanging over the murder of a Filipina maid, a judicial source said.

The court issued the sentence in the first hearing in the case of Joanna Demafelis, the 29-year-old maid whose body was found in a freezer in Kuwait earlier this year. (READ: ‘A national shame’: The death and homecoming of Joanna Demafelis)

The sentencing can still be appealed if the couple returns to Kuwait, the source told Agence France-Presse on condition of anonymity.

Philippine Ambassador Renato Pedro Villa declined to comment on the verdict, telling Agence France-Presse his country would await the rendition of the convicts.

The Lebanese-Syrian couple was arrested in February in the Syrian capital Damascus following an Interpol manhunt. 

Syrian authorities handed the husband, Nader Essam Assaf, over to Lebanese authorities, while his Syrian wife remained in custody in Damascus.

Philippine Undersecretary for Migrant Workers Affairs Sarah Arriola on Sunday was scheduled to hold talks with officials in Kuwait on conditions for Filipino workers, including labor law violations.

The Demafelis murder triggered a diplomatic crisis between Kuwait and the Philippines, prompting Manila to impose a departure ban for its citizens planning to work in the Gulf state.

An estimated 252,000 Filipinos and Filipinas work in Kuwait and depend on remittances to help their families back home.

In the wake of the Demafelis murder, Manila has been working to facilitate the return of its nationals who wish to leave, including those who have lost their residency status.  

Ambassador Villa told Agence France-Presse on Sunday that his country has already repatriated 4,000 Filipino nationals living in Kuwait without the necessary paperwork. 

“We are now in talks with Kuwaiti authorities to secure an amnesty that will allow 6,000 Filipinos living without papers to return,” he said.

Rights groups have voiced alarm over the plight of workers in the Gulf and other Arab countries, where migrant labor is regulated under a system known as “kafala.” 

The kafala, or sponsorship, system ties migrant workers’ visas to their employers, prohibiting workers from leaving or changing jobs without prior consent. (READ: Duterte lists down demands for OFW protection in Kuwait– Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.