Magnitude 6.5 earthquake jolts Visayas
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – A magnitude 6.5 earthquake struck parts of the Visayas at 1:37 pm on Tuesday, April 23.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) revised the magnitude upwards, after initially pegging the earthquake at magnitude 6.2.
In a bulletin, Phivolcs said the epicenter of the earthquake was located in San Julian, Eastern Samar.
The following intensities were recorded:
- Intensity VI - San Julian, Eastern Samar
- Intensity V - Tacloban City; Catbalogan City, Samar; General MacArthur, Salcedo, and Guiuan, Eastern Samar; Naval, Biliran; Catarman, Northern Samar; Palo and Pastrana, Leyte
- Intensity IV - Abuyog, Hilongos, Javier, Capoocan, Julieta, Baybay, Barogo, Jaro, MacArthur, Matalum, and Villaba, Leyte; San Francisco, Southern Leyte; Bislig City, Surigao del Sur; Iloilo City; Naga City; Sorsogon City; Panganiban, Catanduanes
- Intensity III - Binalbagan, Negros Occidental; Cabalian, Southern Leyte; Dimasalang, Masbate; Butuan City; Cabadbaran City
- Intensity II - Bago City; Bacolod City
Phivolcs warned that damage and aftershocks are expected.
There is no threat of a tsunami, said Phivolcs in a separate advisory.
The Visayas earthquake hit just a day after a magnitude 6.1 tremor rocked parts of Luzon, causing deaths, injuries, and damage.
In an interview on ANC, Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum said the Luzon and Visayas earthquakes "are not related." – Rappler.com
We keep you informed because you matter
We tell you the stories that matter. We ask, we probe, we explain.
But as we strive to do all this and speak truth to power, we face constant threats to our independence.
Help us make a difference through free and fearless journalism. With your help, you enable us to keep providing you with our brand of compelling and investigative work.
Joining Rappler PLUS allows us to build communities of action with you. PLUS members will receive our editorial newsletters and industry reports, get to join exclusive online conversations with our award-winning journalists, and be part of our monthly events.
Make your move now. Join Rappler PLUS.