Magnitude 6.1 earthquake rocks Luzon
MANILA, Philippines (6th UPDATE) – A magnitude 6.1 earthquake rocked parts of Luzon at 5:11 pm on Monday, April 22, leaving at least 9 people dead in the province of Pampanga.
The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (Phivolcs) revised the magnitude upwards, after initially pegging the earthquake at magnitude 5.7.
In a bulletin, Phivolcs said the epicenter of the earthquake was located in Castillejos, Zambales.
The following intensities were recorded:
- Intensity VI - San Marcelino and Subic, Zambales; Floridablanca, Lubao, and Porac, Pampanga; Angeles City; Olongapo City
- Intensity V - Castillejos and San Felipe, Zambales; Magalang, Mexico, and San Fernando, Pampanga; Abucay, Balanga, and Mariveles, Bataan; Malolos, and Obando, Bulacan; Indang, Cavite; Lipa City; Makati City; Mandaluyong City; Manila City; Quezon City; Pasay City; San Juan City; Taguig City; Tarlac City; Valenzuela City
- Intensity IV - Meycauayan, Plaridel, and San Jose del Monte, Bulacan; San Rafael, Tarlac; Rosales and Villasis, Pangasinan; Itogon, and La Trinidad, Benguet; Kasibu, Nueva Vizcaya; Gabaldon, Nueva Ecija; San Mateo, Rizal; Bacoor, Imus, and Maragondon, Cavite; Nasugbu,
Batangas; Antipolo City; Baguio City; Caloocan City; Las Piñas City; Marikina City; Pasig City; Tagaytay City
- Intensity III - Marilao, Bulacan; Santo Domingo and Talavera, Nueva Ecija; Maddela, Quirino; Dingalan, Aurora; Lucban, Quezon; Santa Cruz, Laguna; Carmona, Dasmariñas, General Trias, and Silang, Cavite; San Nicolas and Talisay, Batangas; Cabanatuan City; Calamba City; Gapan City; Muntinlupa City; Palayan City
- Intensity II - Baler, Aurora
Damage and aftershocks were recorded in parts of Luzon. But Phivolcs Director Renato Solidum said there is no danger of a tsunami.
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.