MANILA, Philippines (3RD UPDATE) – The Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday, March 10, confirmed 9 more positive cases of COVID-19, raising the total number of confirmed cases in the country to 33.
Health Assistant Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire announced this in a news briefing on Tuesday, correcting the Department of Health announcement made earlier on its Facebook page Tuesday that there were 11 new cases for a total of 35.
According to the DOH, the 13 new cases are admitted at the following hospitals:
- Dr. Jose N. Rodriguez Memorial Hospital and Sanitarium for patient 21
- Cardinal Santos Medical Center for patient 22
- San Lazaro Hospital for patient 23
- St. Luke’s Medical Center Quezon City for patient 24
- New Clark City quarantine facility for patient 25-26 and the repatriates from MV Diamond Princess
- Medical City for patients 27-33
Of the 13 new cases, patients 21-24 are currently in stable condition; patients 25-26 are asymptomatic, and statuses of PH27-33 are for verification.
The DOH said they were conducting comprehensive contact tracing for all cases. They are also were in coordination with concerned local government units and Centers for Health Development for the implementation of infection prevention and control measures.
“With the increasing number of cases, I implore everyone to fully cooperate with us in investigation and contact tracing activities. Individuals with a known history of exposure and travel presenting with mild symptoms are advised to self-isolate and undergo home quarantine for 14 days,” health secretary Francisco Duque III said.
To identify and trace the close contacts of confirmed cases, the DOH said they were working closely with the Philippine National Police and other government agencies.
In a press conference on Monday, March 9, Vergeire said that the spike in number of positive cases was supposedly due to the “heightened surveillance” efforts of the DOH.
Duque said earlier on Tuesday that at least two of the patients – an 86-year-old American, and a 62-year-old Filipino, both male – were in critical condition.
There were 10 new COVID-19 cases reported on Monday night, March 9. – Rappler.com