PH coronavirus cases breach 40,000 with record 1,531 new patients

JC Gotinga
The Department of Health also reports a record 400 recoveries in a single day, as total confirmed cases reach 40,336, and the death toll rises to 1,280

SAFETY MEASURES. Jeepney drivers and operators place dividers and other physical distancing measures on their passenger jeepneys at a terminal in Bacoor, Cavite on Monday, June 29, despite the uncertainty of them returning to operation as presidential spokesman Harry Roque said that only "roadworthy" passenger jeepneys will be allowed. Photo by Ben Nabong/Rappler

MANILA, Philippines – Confirmed coronavirus cases in the Philippines breached 40,000 on Friday, July 3, with a record 1,531 new confirmed cases reported in a single day.

The Department of Health (DOH) reported a total 40,336 COVID-19 cases in the country.

Of the 1,531 new cases, 688 were fresh, or those reported within the last 3 days, while 843 were late cases, or those reported 4 days before or earlier.

The DOH counted 6 new fatalities, bringing total deaths to 1,280.

The agency also reported a record 400 recoveries, the highest in a single day so far, bringing total recoveries to 11,073.

The previous highest number of new confirmed cases recorded in a single day was on June 23, with 1,150 new patients.

{source}<iframe src=’https://flo.uri.sh/visualisation/2794264/embed‘ frameborder=’0′ scrolling=’no’ style=’width:100%;height:600px;’></iframe><div style=’width:100%!;margin-top:4px!important;text-align:right!important;’><a class=’flourish-credit’ href=’https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2794264/?utm_source=embed&utm_campaign=visualisation/2794264‘ target=’_top’ style=’text-decoration:none!important’><img src=’https://public.flourish.studio/resources/made_with_flourish.svg‘ style=’width:105px!important;height:16px!important;border:none!important;margin:0!important;’> </a></div>{/source}

Of Friday’s new cases, 413 were from the national capital region, while 301 were from Region 7 – Central Visayas, including Cebu City.

Cebu City has become the new focus of government efforts to curb the coronavirus pandemic as it saw a sharp rise in cases in recent weeks.

On Thursday, July 2, the DOH reported an unusually low number of new confirmed cases – 294 – because it was adjusting its data extraction process.

Health Undersecretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said Thursday’s data covered only 19 hours, not the usual 24 hours, because the agency was adjusting the time it extracted data from the COVID-Kaya system, the official data platform.

The objective of the change is to deliver more “timely” data, Vergeire said. – Rappler.com

 

 

JC Gotinga

JC Gotinga often reports about the West Philippine Sea, the communist insurgency, and terrorism as he covers national defense and security for Rappler. He enjoys telling stories about his hometown, Pasig City. JC has worked with Al Jazeera, CNN Philippines, News5, and CBN Asia.