Napoles stays put in Makati City Jail

Rappler.com
(4th UPDATE) Interior and Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas says security measures need to be enhanced and strengthened

MANILA, Philippines (4th UPDATE) – Alleged pork barrrel queen Janet Napoles stays put at the Makati City Jail, Local Government Secretary Mar Roxas announced before 1 pm on Saturday, August 31.

He said facilities at Fort Sto Domingo in Sta Rosa, Laguna are not ready as security measures need to be enhanced and beefed up.

Roxas, however, did not say when Napoles would be transferred from Makati City Jail.

“There will be no movement today,” Roxas told a press conference. Among the enhancements that need to be put in place are the following: additional bars, CCTV cameras, hinges on a door, bars for windows, the door and even the ceiling of Napoles’ 25-square-meter detention facility.

More than 300 Special Action Forces (SAF) are at Fort Sto Domingo.

Napoles was scheduled to be moved Saturday morning in compliance with a court order signed by Judge Elmo Alameda of Branch 150 of the Makti Regional Trial Court. Fort Sto Domingo is guarded by the elite SAF of the Philippine National Police.

READ: Court: Transfer Napoles to Laguna

No special treatment

During his briefing, Roxas said that no different from SAF trainees, Napoles will have a double-deck steel framed bed. She will get her usual food ration but will be allowed to eat food brought in by her lawyers.

A small refrigerator will be allowed for her various medicines. She is said to be suffering from diabetes. Expenses for the mini fridge will have to be shouldered by Napoles, according to Roxas.

No cooking will be allowed in the premises and no additional appliances can be brought in as well. A two-layer cyclone wire fence surrounds Fort Sto Domingo as a security measure. Part of long-range plans is to cover the fence with a sack at the appropriate time, Roxas said.

NOT READY. Interior and Local Secretary Mar Roxas says the PNP SAF are still preparing the facilities in Fort Sto. Domingo for Napoles. Photo by Rappler/Naoki Mengua

Napoles will not be allowed to have a cell phone and visitors will be required to register in a logbook. Part of the plan is to livestream what a CCTV camera captures so that all visitors are seen and recorded.

The public information officer of the PNP will be tasked to provide an advisory list of Napoles visitors, Roxas said.

No safety guarantee in Makati

Earlier on Friday, the Makati City jail warden and the head of the Criminal Investigation Detection Group-National Capital Region recommended the transfer of Napoles.

Makati City Jail officials said they could not guarantee the safety of Napoles, who has been linked to an intricate web of corruption involving the Priority Development Assistance Fund, lawmakers and fictitious NGOs. She is however being detained on charges of serious illegal detention, a non-bailable offense.

A SAF contingent arrived shortly before 7 am Saturday at the Makati City Jail, followed by CIDG members.

Repeal PD 749

Meanwhile, members of the Volunteers Against Crime and Corruption picketed the front gate of the Makati City Jail condemning the “special treatment” of Napoles.

READ: VACC: Join our rally at Makati City Jail

NO TO SPECIAL TREATMENT. Members of the VACC ask for the repeal of PD 749. Photo by Bea Cupin

They asked Congress to repeal PD 749 which grants immunity from prosecution to givers of bribes… and to their accomplices in bribery against public officers.

They want Napoles to be “charged with plunder together with the bribe-takers.” – with reports from Bea Cupin and Michael Bueza/Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.