PH overtakes Indonesia as ASEAN country with most COVID-19 cases

Pia Ranada

This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.

PH overtakes Indonesia as ASEAN country with most COVID-19 cases

Nurses from the Ospital ng Parañaque show to members of the media On February 5, some equipment they prepared, including a quarantine tent, as precautionary measures in case a Patient Under Investigation (PUI) of the Novel Coronavirua Acute Respiratory Disease is brought to their facility.

File photo by Rappler

The country reports 3,561 new cases on Thursday, August 6, bringing the total to 119,460

The Philippines reported 3,561 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, August 6, inching the total tally closer to 120,000 and causing the country to overtake Indonesia as the Southeast Asian nation with the most number of infections.

The country’s total coronavirus cases are now at 119,460. On the same day, Indonesia reported 1,882 new cases, bringing its total to 118,753, according to the Jakarta Post.

Metro Manila was again the source of most of the Philippines’ new cases, reporting 2,041 on Thursday.

Below is the breakdown of the new cases:

  • Metro Manila – 2,041
  • Laguna – 222
  • Cebu – 221
  • Cavite – 100
  • Rizal – 81

Of the areas listed above, only Cebu was under general community quarantine while the rest were under lockdown or modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) until August 18.

Over 42% or 50,473 of the country’s total cases are still active cases.

The death toll has also increased, with the government reporting 28 new fatalities on Thursday. The toll now stands at 2,150.

Meanwhile, the recoveries grew to 66,837 after 569 more people were reported to have gotten past the disease.

Must Read

PH coronavirus cases may reach 150,000 by August 31 – experts

How is hospital capacity?

More than half of the country’s beds dedicated to COVID-19 patients are now occupied.

According to the DOH, the following are the occupancy rates:

  • ICU beds – 55% occupied
  • Isolation beds – 51% occupied
  • Ward beds – 53% occupied

Meanwhile, 31% of ventilators are being used for severe and critical cases, leaving 69% of around 2,100 units still available. –

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Summarize this article with AI

How does this make you feel?

Download the Rappler App!
Sleeve, Clothing, Apparel


Pia Ranada

Pia Ranada is Rappler’s Community Lead, in charge of linking our journalism with communities for impact.