The government of Tacloban placed the entire city under general community quarantine (GCQ) again due to rising cases of COVID-19.
The order took effect on Monday, August 24 and will be enforced until September 8. The city was previously under the more lenient modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
Through Executive Order 2020-08-36, or Executive Order Intensifying the Quarantine Measures to Mitigate the Spread of COVID-19, Tacloban City Mayor Alfred Romuadez imposed a liquor ban and the temporary closure of bars and resto bars.
Restaurants, cafes, and carinderias, on the other hand, are still allowed to operate, but at a limited capacity.
Non-essential transactions and activities are prohibited, and religious activities are temporarily suspended.
“Nakikita ko dito padagdag nang padagdag itong positive cases. Unfortunately, it’s coming from other places; hindi ito galing sa mga Locally Stranded Individuals (LSI), kundi galing ito sa mga social gatherings…. I see most of them na nag-positive ay isang apelyido, isang pamilya, 5-6 members of the family all got it, all in the same household, kaya nakikita ko kailangan talaga i-limit yung social gatherings,” Mayor Romualdez said.
(I see how positive cases are on the rise here. Unfortunately, the virus doesn’t come from LSIs, but from social gatherings. I see that most of the positive cases share the same last name; 5-6 members of the same family, from the same household, have the virus. That’s why I really see the need to limit social gatherings.)
“Based on the reports we’re getting sa contact tracing, apparently there are so many social gatherings nitong nakaraang linggo. May mga nag-celebrate nang mga gatherings, birthday, may nag-celebrate dito nang anniversary, kaya ito nag-umpisa na,” he added.
(Based on the reports we’re getting from contact tracing, there were apparently so many social gatherings held in the past week. Some celebrated birthdays, some anniversaries – that’s how the virus started spreading.)
Mayor Romualdez advised all Taclobanons not to be complacent.
“Mag-ingat kayo. Hindi pa tapos itong ipinaglalaban natin. (Please take care. Our fight is not yet over.) It is also for your own good,” he said.
The GCQ also requires all its residents to observe social distancing, and to wear face masks and face shields in public places, especially when taking public transport.
The city is also applying a zoning containment strategy, with restrictions differing among the barangays.
A curfew from 9 pm to 4 am has been placed. Minors, senior citizens, and sickly individuals are also prohibited from going outside their residences except in emergency situations.
As of Sunday, the City Health Office has recorded a total of 174 cases: 99 active, and 76 recoveries. – Rappler.com