Newsbreak Chats: After Duterte's SONA and Gem-Ver, what now?
He also pushed for priority legislation that included the reimposition of the death penalty.
After months of controversy and criticism of the administration’s handling of the Recto Bank incident involving a Chinese vessel and a Filipino fishing boat Gem-Ver with 22 fishermen aboard, the President has remained unyielding in his position on Beijing. (READ: The sinking of Gem-Ver: Barko! May babanggang barko!)
On Thursday, July 25, reporters Pia Ranada, Rambo Talabong, Sofia Tomacruz, and managing editor Glenda Gloria sit down with Newsbreak editor Chay Hofileña to discuss the issues surrounding the fishermen involved, ties with China, and what's ahead after the 2019 SONA.
Watch the discussion live on Thursday, July 25, at 4 pm! – Rappler.com
MORE ON 'NEWSBREAK CHATS' IN 2019
- Newsbreak Chats January 2019: Bangsamoro plebiscite, lowering age of criminal liability
- Newsbreak Chats February 2019: Disinformation, elections, and Rappler cyber libel case
- Newsbreak Chats May 2019: Cebu killings, election-related violence
- Newsbreak Chats June 2019: The highs and lows of the Duterte presidency
- Newsbreak Chats December 2018: Top stories in 2018, what to expect in 2019
- Newsbreak Chats: Xi Jinping's state visit, Rappler's Fact Check Project
- Newsbreak Chats: Election fever, Cebu as 'crime city'
- Newsbreak Chats: Trillanes' amnesty revocation and arrest
- Newsbreak Chats: Rice crisis, Arroyo as House Speaker
- Newsbreak Chats: Marites Vitug on significance of 'Rock Solid'
- Newsbreak Chats: Anti-tambay campaign, Duterte vs the Church
- Newsbreak Chats: Calida contracts, Cesar Montano, and PhilHealth
- Newsbreak Chats: Boracay closure, Kuwait OFWs, and disinformation
- Newsbreak Chats: Malacañang ban, quo warranto vs Sereno
- Newsbreak Chats: Navy frigates, Russian propaganda
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As a bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.