Jose Aldo outworks Frankie Edgar to win interim UFC title

Nissi Icasiano
Jose Aldo outworks Frankie Edgar to win interim UFC title
Aldo bounces back from his 13-second defeat to McGregor with a convincing unanimous decision at UFC 200

MANILA, Philippines – Jose Aldo bounced back from his nightmare outing against Conor McGregor 7 months ago, outworking perennial contender Frankie Edgar for the interim featherweight championship at UFC 200 on Saturday, July 9 (Sunday Manila time) at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. 

Despite the intense work rate of Edgar, Aldo left no doubts in his rematch with the former lightweight titleholder as he grinded out a convincing unanimous decision win with the scores of 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47.

Although Edgar consistently applied pressure on Aldo by pulling off different punching combinations and delivering crisp leg kicks, the 29-year-old Brazilian efficiently utilized his counterpunching by hurling well-placed right hands.

Aldo also created space to launch thunderous knees to the midsection and denied Edgar’s superb wrestling background by stuffing his 3 takedown attempts.

With the shutout victory over Edgar, Aldo improves his professional record to 26-2 and gets his hand raised in triumph for the first time since being knocked out by McGregor in 13 seconds last December.

Aldo has the interim UFC featherweight title in his possession, which gives him the right to set a date with McGregor later this year and avenge his setback. 

On the other hand, Edgar snaps his 5-fight winning streak and downgrades to a 20-5-1 mixed martial arts slate. 

In the other match-up on the UFC 200 main card, former heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez (14-2) sent an astounding statement to the entire 265-pound weight class as he appears to be next in line for a title shot by stopping Travis Browne (18-4) with a first-round technical knockout.

Velasquez wobbled Browne early with a wheel-kick and then dropped him with a looping right hand, giving the Mexican-American an opening to rain down heavy blows on the ground to coerce referee “Big” John McCarthy to halt the contest at 4:57 of the first round. –

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.