LIMA, Peru – The head of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics said Monday, September 11, there was no “plan B” to move the Games as nuclear tensions escalate on the Korean peninsula.
Lee Hee-Beom, the president of the 2018 Winter Games organizing committee, said he was confident of delivering “perfect security” for the Games, which take place in South Korea from February 9-25.
Pyeongchang is 80 kilometers (50 miles) from the border with North Korea, which has stoked anxiety with a recent nuclear test and a string of missile launches.
“There’s no plan B, as the Olympics are based on an Olympic truce,” Lee told reporters following presentation to the International Olympic Committee’s Executive Board in Lima.
“We will have a torch lighting ceremony in Greece on October 24, the torch will be delivered to Korea on November 1,” added Lee.
“We will have a perfect security and safety Olympic Games.”
Lee said he also believes North Korean athletes will venture across the border to participate.
“So far we believe North Korean athletes will be there in Pyeongchang,” he said.
Last week, Swiss IOC official Gian-Franco Kasper said he feared some teams might not participate in South Korea out of security fears.
“I am convinced that Pyeongchang will be the safest place during the Games,” said the 73-year-old Kasper.
“What I fear is that some nations may boycott the Games, because they have concerns for their athletes.” – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.