LONDON, United Kingdom – Mixed martial arts superstar Conor McGregor announced his retirement from the sport on Sunday, June 7.
The two-division Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) World Champion said his fighting days were over in a Twitter message posted on his verified account, alongside a picture of the Irishman with his mother, Margaret.
“Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting. Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been!” he wrote.
“Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my World title wins! Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you! Whatever you desire it’s yours.”
The controversial fighter, nicknamed “The Notorious,” also announced his retirement from the sport in March last year after being battered into submission by arch-rival Khabib Nurmagomedov in October 2018.
He made a return to the octagon in January after 15 months of inaction to knock out American Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone in just 40 seconds in Las Vegas.
The 31-year-old, an icon of the UFC, is no stranger to controversy and hit the headlines last year for an attack on an older man in a Dublin bar that was captured in a viral video.
McGregor, one of the most popular fighters in MMA history, has a record of 22-4 and was the first UFC fighter to hold two championship belts at the same time.
He achieved that feat in 2016, when he stopped Eddie Alvarez in a lightweight title fight, adding it to his featherweight title.
That triumph was followed by a loss to boxing great Floyd Mayweather in a cross-combat superfight in 2017, his loss to Nurmagomedov, announcements of retirements and returns to fighting.
Hey guys I’ve decided to retire from fighting.— Conor McGregor (@TheNotoriousMMA) June 7, 2020
Thank you all for the amazing memories! What a ride it’s been!
Here is a picture of myself and my mother in Las Vegas post one of my World title wins!
Pick the home of your dreams Mags I love you!
Whatever you desire it’s yours pic.twitter.com/Dh4ijsZacZ
McGregor – who started out as a struggling plumber before becoming a multi-millionaire – rose to fame when he joined UFC in 2013 and became the only fighter to hold titles in two divisions simultaneously.
McGregor also ventured into boxing in 2017 and faced retired Mayweather in a money-spinning fight that saw MMA star submit to round 10 TKO.
In 2018, McGregor figured in a brawl-marred submission loss to Nurmagomedov and was slapped with a $50,000 fine and a six-month ban from UFC.
The Russian, on the other hand, was handed a nine-month ban and $500,000 fine as his team initiated the melee by jumping on McGregor.
Early last year, McGregor was charged with criminal mischief and strong-armed robbery for allegedly smashing a fan’s cell phone outside a Florida nightclub.
Still, McGregor remained one of the most bankable stars in UFC.
In 2016, he also vowed to retire in a move that was widely seen as a negotiating gambit.
UFC president Dana White paid tribute to McGregor after the conclusion of UFC 250 in Las Vegas early Sunday morning.
“If Conor McGregor feels he wants to retire, you know my feelings about retirement, you should absolutely do it,” White said at the post-event press conference.
“I love Conor. There’s a handful of people that have made this really fun for me, and he’s one of them.” – Rappler.com
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.