world boxing

Gaballo excited for Donaire clash; Mama prepared for Edwards

Roy Luarca
Gaballo excited for Donaire clash; Mama prepared for Edwards

DREAM CLASH. Reymart Gaballo (left) and Nonito Donaire will tangle on December 11 in California.

Showtime Boxing (Gaballo) and Nonito Donaire

Reymart Gaballo faces his long-time idol Nonito Donaire for the WBC bantamweight crown

Wonder no more why Reymart Gaballo idolizes Nonito Donaire Jr.

When Gaballo turned pro in 2014, Donaire was already an accomplished fighter, a four-division world champion with a Fighter of the Year (2012) award to boot.

Gaballo will get the thrill of a lifetime when he challenges Donaire for the World Boxing Council bantamweight crown on Saturday, December 11 (Sunday, December 12, Philippine time) at the Dignity Health Sports Park in Carson, California.

Though already 39 years old, Donaire (41 wins, 6 losses with 27 knockouts) is favored to halt Gaballo’s unbeaten run (24-0, 20 knockouts). Bettors are giving Donaire 77% chances of winning as against only 23% for the 25-year-old Gaballo.

While Gaballo promised to pour it all against his idol, Donaire made it clear he’s going for a knockout on fight night.

According to JC Manangquil, head of Sanman Promotions, his ward is training hard under Cuban Osmiri Fernandez in Miami, Florida, and is ready to snatch the 118-pound crown from Donaire.

“Reymart is focused and in fighting form,” said Manangquil. “I’m hoping he won’t give Donaire too much respect.”

While Manangquil will be at ringside in Carson, his mind will wander in Dubai, the United Arab Emirates, where Jayson Mama, another Sanman stalwart, will be gunning for the International Boxing Federation flyweight belt of Briton Sunny Edwards on the same day at the Coca-Cola Arena.

Manangquil likes Mama’s chances against Edwards, who wrested the title from South African legend Moruthi Mthalane on April 30 last year. Both are unbeaten after 16 fights although Mama has eight knockouts against Edwards’ four.

“Jayson is hungry (for the title) and is determined not to let this chance slip away,” said Manangquil. –