Tennis

47 players quarantined after COVID-19 cases on Australian Open flights

Reuters
47 players quarantined after COVID-19 cases on Australian Open flights

ARRIVAL. Rafael Nadal arrives at Adelaide Airport ahead of the Australian Open flights with reported coronavirus cases.

Photo by Morgan Sett/AAP Image/Reuters

(UPDATED) The buildup for next month's Australian Open suffered a jolt after coronavirus infections were reported on two flights to the year's first Grand Slam 

Forty-seven players have been forced into two weeks of hotel quarantine in Melbourne after 3 coronavirus infections were reported on two chartered flights carrying them to the year’s first Grand Slam, the tournament organizers said on Saturday, January 16.

Two dozen players who arrived from Los Angeles entered strict hotel quarantine after an aircrew member and an Australian Open participant who is not a player tested positive for the new coronavirus.

Later, another non-player passenger on a flight from Abu Dhabi tested positive, prompting the organizers to usher 23 players into hotel quarantine.

All 3 who tested positive had been transferred to a health hotel, the organizers said in a statement.

The players would not be able to leave their hotel rooms for 14 days and until they are medically cleared, they said.

“They will not be eligible to practice.”

The decision will translate into unequal preparation for the participants. 

Uruguayan Pablo Cuevas took to Twitter to express his feelings. “From having 5 hours of training in a bubble to this … (strict quarantine x 15 days). I will be showing you my workouts x Instagram (inside the room),” wrote the world No. 68.

Australia has agreed to accept about 1,200 players, officials and staff on 15 flights for the major sporting event that is due to begin next month.

Apart from Cuevas, Mexican player Santiago Gonzalez also confirmed being on that flight in a social media post.

Other players cited by local media as likely to be on the flight included Tennys Sandgren, who was granted special permission to travel from Los Angeles late last week after testing positive for the new coronavirus, which he had previously had, and world No. 13 doubles player Victoria Azarenka of Belarus.

“We are communicating with everyone on this flight, and particularly the playing group whose conditions have now changed, to ensure their needs are being catered to as much as possible,” said tournament director Craig Tiley.

Scottish former world No. 1 Andy Murray revealed he tested positive for COVID-19 last week but said he was in good health and still hoped to compete. 

American Madison Keys pulled out last week after she tested positive.

Australian cases

The inbound infections came as Australia recorded a single locally acquired case, and as states began to relax travel bans on signs an outbreak in the northern state of Queensland has been contained.

The case, in western Sydney, is thought to be linked a known cluster in New South Wales, the most populous state, health officials said.

Australia has halved the number of returning travellers that it will accept, to lower the risk of highly infectious strains seeping into the community, as occurred at a site in Queensland two weeks ago.

Emirates Airline said Friday it would suspend flights between Dubai and Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane by early next week until further notice.

Queensland has recorded two weeks since its latest hotel outbreak, fuelling hopes the spread has been contained. As a result, Victoria and South Australia states will reopen borders to the state by Sunday.

Australia, which logged 20 infections hotel quarantine overnight, has been one of the world’s most successful nations in managing the coronavirus spread, with about 28,700 infections and 909 deaths. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.