Diaz finally won the country its first-ever Olympic gold as she ruled the women’s 55kg class, clearing 97kg in the snatch and an Olympic record of 127kg in the clean and jerk for a total lift of 224kg, also a Games mark.
Her extraordinary feat guaranteed Diaz millions in cash incentives from the government and private companies on top of other rewards.
As of Monday, August 2, Diaz is slated to receive a total of P56.5 million in cash along with other pledges such us house and lots, lifetime free flights, and free food.
Here is the list of incentives Diaz has been promised to get:
- P10 million – Under Republic Act 10699 or National Athletes and Coaches Benefits and Incentives Act, Olympic gold medalists are entitled to P10 million from the Philippine Sports Commission (PSC)
- P10 million – Sports patron Manny Pangilinan pledged P10 million for winning an Olympic gold through the MVP Sports Foundation
- P10 million – San Miguel Corporation boss Ramon Ang committed to give P10 million for a Filipino athlete who will win gold in Tokyo
- P5 million – Business tycoon Dennis Uy pledged P5 million for Diaz through his Siklab Atleta Pilipinas Sports Foundation
- P5 million – The PSC announced it will reward Diaz an additional P5 million for her two Olympic records as RA 10699 states that a Filipino athlete who surpasses Philippine records or rankings in any measurable international sports competitions like the Summer Games shall be given cash incentives
- P3 million – President Rodrigo Duterte vowed to give Diaz P3 million from the budget of the Office of the President
- P3 million – House Deputy Speaker Mikee Romero pledged P3 million for an Olympic gold
- P3 million – The Philippine Olympic Committee pledged P3 million for an Olympic gold
- P3 million – Restaurant company Max’s Group pledged P3 million for Diaz
- P2.5 million – Diaz will receive P2.5 million from her hometown of Zamboanga City
- P1 million – Universidad de Zamboanga, where Diaz used to study, added P1 million for its former student
- P 1 million – Senators donated P100,000 each for the chamber’s cash prizes for the four Filipino medalists in Tokyo and gave Diaz P1 million for winning gold
- House and lot from Century Properties
- Condominium unit in Eastwood City from Megaworld Corporation
- House and lot in Tagaytay City from Philippine Olympic Committee president Abraham “Bambol” Tolentino
- House and lot in Zamboanga City from Duterte
- Free lifetime flights from AirAsia
- Free 80,000 miles per year for life from Philippine Airlines
- Twenty-five free flights from Cebu Pacific Air
- A beauty package worth P600,000 for Diaz and her team from the L’Oreal Group. The international beauty and cosmetics company also pledged P1.4 million worth of products for the 10 other female Filipino Olympians.
- Free lifetime gas from Phoenix Petroleum
- Thirteen-seater van from Foton
- Free meals for life from several restaurants and lifetime supply of milk tea from several shops
- Free lifetime services, including tattoo and oil change