LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines (4th UPDATE) – A special games athlete of Mimaropa (Region 4B) who was rushed to the hospital after she got an electric shock is already in stable condition.
2016 Palarong Pambansa deputy secretary general Cesar Abalon said the athlete only suffered “mild numbness” after the incident on Wednesday, April 13.
The athlete had been going up the stairs of a Jollibee food truck stationed at the Albay Sports and Tourism Complex located inside the Bicol University when she got electrocuted.
The athlete is competing in the standing long jump event.
The athlete was accompanied to the hospital by Carolyn Silas, the one in charge of the Jollibee food truck for Wednesday.
Silas said the food truck was recently checked and they detected no problems. She added they do not have any idea what happened and that they will investigate.
The Jollibee food truck was immediately cordoned off after the incident.
In a statement, Albay Governor Joey Salceda said that the food truck “will be relocated and its electrical devices will be reviewed.”
Salceda added that Jollibee has promised to “extend assistance” to the athlete.
The Legazpi City Fire Station, meanwhile, is looking into the electrocution.
According to SFO1 Garry Santander, they will be talking to the electrician who set up the Jollibee food truck to determine where it sourced its electricity. Currently, the wire has already been cut so they do not know where it was attached.
Santander added that he was told that someone was also electrocuted on Tuesday, April 12, but it was not reported.
The fire marshals plan to inspect the rest of the venue, especially the swimming pool area, to ensure the safety of all Palarong Pambansa participants. – Rappler.com
Editor’s note: The athlete’s name was removed due to her age.
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- New Palaro javelin throw record-holder, predecessor have ‘common’ coach
- ARMM Badjao kid dreams to attend college through volleyball
- DepEd envisions one province, one sports complex
- Vendors expect more income at 2016 Palarong Pambansa
- Western Visayas archer has national team aspirations
RECAPS AND MEDAL TALLIES:
- NCR wins 12th straight overall Palarong Pambansa crown
- 8 records fall at Palaro 2016
- NCR cops secondary boys football title in heated Palaro final
- NCR trounces Calabarzon for back-to-back secondary girls volleyball title
- Calabarzon defeats Central Luzon to win Palaro secondary basketball title
- Janel Maraguinot, sis of Ateneo’s Jhoana, is Palaro Best Setter
- Negros Island earns bronze in secondary girls volleyball
- Central Visayas sweeps NCR to retain Palaro badminton doubles title
- Mimaropa bags gold in Palaro elementary boys double takraw
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.