DARAGA, Philippines – Fueled by determination to bring home the 2016 Palarong Pambansa volleyball title, the new Negros Island Region (NIR) pummeled host Bicol Region, 25-13, 25-17, on Thursday, April 14 here.
With a 4-0 win-loss card, NIR secured the top spot in Group B in secondary girls volleyball and advanced to the quarterfinals.
Hannah Nicole Infante, NIR’s team captain and 5-time Palaro qualifier, banked on cross-court spikes off Patricia Nicole Escares’ excellent sets to notch the emphatic win.
“Naging consistent kami, hindi nagbigay ng kumpiyansa and we gave it our all (We stayed consistent, we did not give them confidence and we gave it our all),” said Infante, who was also part of Western Visayas’ line-up in the Shakey’s V- League.
Jessa Ordiales, Linnel Maputi, Alyssa Bertolano, and Jewel Maligmat unloaded solid attacks while setter Escares had sharp serves in the win. Maicah Larroza anchored the net defense with her solid blocks.
Powerhouse NIR also defeated Davao Region in 3 sets, 25-16, 23-25, 26-24, and swept Zamboanga Peninsula, 25-16, 25-23, as well as Cagayan Valley, 25-20, 25-6, before Thursday’s win.
NIR will face Group C’s second seed Western Visayas in the quarters on Friday, April 15, at Bicol Colleges. – Rappler.com
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016’s fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year’s Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.