LEGAZPI CITY, Philippines – Newly-established Negros Island Region claimed the bronze medal in secondary girls volleyball after coming from behind last year’s finalist Davao Region, 20-25, 25-21, 25-19, in the battle for third on Saturday, April 16 during the 2016 Palarong Pambansa at Bicol Colleges.
NIR had to deal with a strong showing from Davao in the opening set. NIR absorbed its foes’ lefty attacks and sharp cross-court hits as Davao drew first blood, 25-20.
With Jessa Ordiales out in the latter part of the first set, NIR came back with a vengeance in the second set courtesy of Maica Larroza’s brilliant blocking and loaded serves, 25-21.
Momentum shifted Negros Island’s way as Patricia Nicole Escares’ well-distributed plays paid off. Hannah Nicole Infante showered an array of attacks while Alyssa Bertolano gave Davao a hard time receiving the first ball.
Davao fizzled out towards the end and committed a pile of errors as NIR took the final frame, 25-19. – Rappler.com
More 2016 Palarong Pambansa stories:
- A colorful 2016 Palarong Pambansa opening
- Student-athletes go all out in Day 1 of #Palaro2016
- Archery, swimming, wrestling in Day 2 of #Palaro2016
- #Palaro2016’s fastest female runner, chess, arnis & more
- High jump record holder, sepak takraw, billiards
- 2016 Palarong Pambansa comes to an end
- The sport of bocce at Palaro 2016 para games
READ AND WATCH:
- Pia Cayetano to push for Palaro infrastructure funding
- Palaro silver, bronze medalists to get incentives for first time
- DepEd eyes adding chess for the blind at next Palaro
- Inside the main venue days before Palarong Pambansa 2016
- The new Palaro contender: Negros Island Region
- Power outages hit 2016 Palarong Pambansa in Albay
- Ilocos Region looks to climb out of cellar in this year’s Palaro
- DepEd promotes ‘school sports,’ not A-League sports
- Bicol DOH releases health report midway through 2016 Palaro
- 3 suffer minor injuries as Palaro cauldron overheats, cracks
- Palaro 2016 Mood Meter: Most participants are Happy
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.