1 dead, 2 injured in gas leak at Samsung chip plant
SEOUL, South Korea – One worker was killed and two injured when carbon dioxide leaked at a Samsung Electronics chip plant on Tuesday, September 4, the South Korean company said.
The 3 were found unconscious in the basement of the semiconductor factory in Suwon just south of Seoul, the firm said in a statement.
A man aged 24 was pronounced dead in hospital hours later and two others, aged 26 and 54, remain unconscious, Samsung said.
All were employees of one of Samsung's suppliers and were inspecting the factory's gas-related facilities, it added.
"It is believed that the cause of death is suffocation due to a carbon dioxide leak," Samsung said, adding it was investigating.
Samsung – the world's top maker of smartphones as well as memory chips – operates a vast semiconductor production compound in Suwon.
Fatal accidents at major companies have made frequent headlines in the South, which has struggled to improve poor safety standards in factories.
In January 4 workers suffocated due to a gas leak at a steel factory owned by Posco – the country's top steelmaker – in the southern city of Pohang.
In August last year 4 workers died when a fuel tank exploded in a vessel under construction at the headquarters of STX Offshore and Shipbuilding in the southern city of Changwon. – Rappler.com
In these changing times, courage and clarity become even more important.
Take discussions to the next level with Rappler PLUS — your platform for deeper insights, closer collaboration, and meaningful action.
Sign up today and access exclusive content, events, and workshops curated especially for those who crave clarity and collaboration in an intelligent, action-oriented community.
As an added bonus, we’re also giving a free 1-year Booky Prime membership for the next 200 subscribers.
You can also support Rappler without a PLUS membership. Help us stay free and independent by making a donation: https://www.rappler.com/crowdfunding. Every contribution counts.