MANILA, Philippines – The 7 billionth human is born to a world where, according to the World Factbook of the US Central Intelligence Agency:
- People live in 195 countries, 72 dependent areas, and other political entities. Most of them live in China (1.34 billion). India (1.19 billion), the United States (313 million), Indonesia (246 million), and Brazil (203 million).
- Christianity (33.3% ), Islam (22.4%), Hinduism (13.8%), and Buddhism (7.1%) are the primary faiths.
- Mandarin Chinese (12.44%), Spanish (4.85%), English (4.83%), Arabic (3.25%), and Hindi (2.68%) are the top languages people first learn to speak.
- The young rule: 65.9% of people are between the ages of 15-65 years old, and 26.3% are younger (between 0-14 years old).
- Urban dwellers outnumber rural residents (50.5%), most of them living in the world’s megacities led by Tokyo (37 million), Delhi (22 million), Sao Paulo (20 million), Mumbai (20 million), and Mexico City (19 million).
- The median age of humans is 28.4 years, and live, on average, up to 67 years old.
- 83.7% of the the population over 15 years old can read and write.
- Nearly 3.23 billion people are part of the labor force, but with an unemployment rate of 8.7%.
- People produce a gross world product (GWP) of $63.17 trillion (as of 2010). Roughly 2% of GDP of gross world product is spent on military expenditures.