Quarantined for helping Ebola patients, US nurse slams rules

Agence France-Presse

This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.

Quarantined for helping Ebola patients, US nurse slams rules


'No one seemed to be in charge. No one would tell me what was going on or what would happen to me,' nurse Kaci Hickox says
PREPARED. Workers are seen carrying plastic barrels from the apartment building where Ebola patient Craig Spencer lived in Harlem, New York, USA, 24 October 2014. Photo by John Taggart/EPA

NEW YORK, United States – An American nurse on Saturday, October 25, published a scathing account of her treatment after being put in isolation in the United States following a stint caring for Ebola patients in Sierra Leone.

Kaci Hickox was the first person to enter mandatory 21-day quarantine for medics returning to parts of the United States who may have had contact with Ebola patients in West Africa. (READ: Ebola fast facts)

The new rules took effect in New York and New Jersey on Friday, October 24, the same day Hickox returned.

She landed in New Jersey’s Newark Liberty International Airport after working with Doctors Without Borders in Sierra Leone, hit hard by the hemorrhagic fever.

“This is not a situation I would wish on anyone, and I am scared for those who will follow me,” Hickox wrote in The Dallas Morning News.

“I am scared about how health care workers will be treated at airports when they declare that they have been fighting Ebola in West Africa. I am scared that, like me, they will arrive and see a frenzy of disorganization, fear and, most frightening, quarantine.”

Hickox will be monitored at a New Jersey hospital for 21 days, the known incubation period of Ebola. She said she was showing no symptoms when she arrived.

Her account recalled the ordeal that began with her “grueling” two-day journey from Sierra Leone back to the United States.

Then, at the airport’s quarantine office in immigration, “one man who must have been an immigration officer because he was wearing a weapon belt that I could see protruding from his white coveralls barked questions at me as if I was a criminal,” Hickox said. 

ebola-virus-000_was8446849-afp-20140325_13CF626A065046BA8D81AA45294D27E7.jpg” class=”rappler_asset” border=”0″ />

Ebola” target=”_blank”>FULL COVERAGE: EBOLA CRISIS

‘No one seemed to be in charge’ 

Despite feeling “tired, hungry and confused,” Hickox said she tried to remain calm during the three hours that passed in the office.

“No one seemed to be in charge. No one would tell me what was going on or what would happen to me,” she said. “I wondered what I had done wrong.”

Hickox’s temperature was initially a normal 37-degree Celsius. But 4 hours after she landed, a forehead scanner found it to be 101 degrees, suggesting fever.

“The forehead scanner was recording an elevated temperature because I was flushed and upset,” Hickox said, adding that she was left alone in the room for another 3 hours.

No less than 8 police cars then escorted her to the hospital.

“Sirens blared, lights flashed. Again, I wondered what I had done wrong,” Hickox wrote.

“I had spent a month watching children die, alone. I had witnessed human tragedy unfold before my eyes. I had tried to help when much of the world has looked on and done nothing.”

At the hospital, her temperature was again normal and an initial blood test came back negative for Ebola.

“I sat alone in the isolation tent and thought of many colleagues who will return home to America and face the same ordeal. Will they be made to feel like criminals and prisoners?” Hickox wrote.

“We need more health care workers to help fight the epidemic in West Africa. The US must treat returning health care workers with dignity and humanity,” she wrote. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.

Summarize this article with AI

How does this make you feel?

Download the Rappler App!