MANILA, Philippines – Miss Universe Philippines 2015 Pia Wurtzbach took time off from her busy day at the Miss Universe pageant in Las Vegas Tuesday, December 15 (Wednesday, Dec 16) to answer questions from fans and supporters on the Miss Universe Facebook page.
In the Facebook conversation, Pia was asked questions ranging from how she is doing at the pageant to what she will do if she wins.
Here are 5 things to know about Pia from the conversation.
1. Pia’s views on terrorism. When asked how a Miss Universe winner can help in the fight against terrorism, Pia said: “Malala (Yousafzai) once said ‘With guns you can kill terrorists but with education you can kill terrorism.'”
2. It took Pia 3 times to win the right to represent the Philippines in Miss Universe. Like her predecessor Mary Jean Lastimosa, Pia tried for the 3rd time in Binibining Pilipinas and finally won the title of Miss Universe Philippines this year. (IN PHOTOS: Pia Wurtzbach’s 3-year Bb Pilipinas journey)
“Definitely my determination. My fellow countrymen have witnessed my journey towards Miss Universe. The fact that I joined Miss Philippines 3 years in a row determines how much I really want this. I didn’t let anyone or anything stop me from getting here. I’m so glad I never lost my drive because turns out, I was right! Now I’m finally wearing the Philippine sash in the most prestigious pageant in the world. And I couldn’t be happier! So kids, if you have a dream, don’t give up!” she said, when asked how she felt about competing this year.
When asked if she is more confident now then before, Pia answered: “More confident for sure. Although it took me awhile to get here, I was training the whole time. I wouldn’t be the same Pia if I won Miss Philippines on my first try. I like the Pia I am now better.” (READ:Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe)
3. She is very close to the Asian delegation. Pia has posted a number of photos with delegates from different countries in the pageant, but she admits she is very close to her sisters from Asia.
“[I’m close to] Miss Malaysia, Miss China and Miss Myanmar. The 4 of us are under one supervisor, Krystle Ng. And we kind of have to stick together all the time for security purposes. So I’ve grown close to them and they’re really cool. Actually, I’ll post a photo of us 4 today,” she said.
4. Pia loves sweets. She may have to watch her diet for this beauty pageant, but Pia says she does have a sweet tooth.
“Finally a question about my favorite thing in the world! Haha,” Pia joked. ” I’m a sucker for sweets. I love desserts so much I could eat them all day! Ahhh.. daydreaming now.”
Pia said that given a chance, she would try to eat all the ice cream flavors she can.
5. Pia takes the role of Miss Universe seriously. For Pia, the chance to be crowned is more than just about good looks. Pia knows that winning can be her gift to the country.
“It means the Universe to us! It would put me in a position where I can promote all the causes I believe in and promote tourism in the Philippines,” she said.
She believes that a Miss Universe must posssess “genuine compassion, discipline, conviction and a big smile.”
And if she wins the crown, what will be the first thing she’ll do? “Run to my sister and give her a big hug! She’s the one who convinced me to join Miss Philippines this year (my 3rd attempt) and I finally got it. Thank you, Sarah!”
The preliminaries of the Miss Universe pageant will be held on Wednesday, December 16 (December 17, Manila time) with the finals night on Sunday, December 20 (December 21, Manila time). – Rappler.com
More about Pia Wurtzbach
- Emotional Pia Wurtzbach recalls challenging road to Miss Universe
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: Work around your weaknesses
- Pia Wurtzbach once dated Phil Younghusband
- Miss Universe PH Pia Wurtzbach: I’m not going to waste my victory
- Pia Wurtzbach: No sabotage, no catfights in Bb Pilipinas
- IN PHOTOS: Pia Wurtzbach’s 3-year Bb Pilipinas journey