MANILA, Philippines – The 17th Congress took 7 hours to decide to grant President Rodrigo Duterte’s request to extend martial law in Mindanao until December 31.
The House of Representatives and the Senate in a joint session agreed to the extension with a vote of 261-18-0. (LIST: How the 17th Congress voted on the martial law extension)
The House and Senate leadership gave lawmakers 3 minutes each to explain their vote, if they wished.
Below are links to the full text of some speeches:
YES to martial law extension
NO to martial law extension
- Senate Minority Leader Drilon, Franklin
- Senator Hontiveros, Risa
- Senator Pangilinan, Francis
- Belmonte, Jose Christopher (Quezon City 6th District)
- Brosas, Arlene (Gabriela Women’s Party)
- Castro, France (ACT Teachers)
- De Jesus, Emmi (Gabriela Women’s Party)
- Lagman, Edcel (Albay 1st District)
- Tinio, Antonio (ACT Teachers)
- Zarate, Carlos (Bayan Muna)