Miss Universe

DOH mulls selective firecracker ban

Rappler.com
DOH Undersecretary Eric Tayag discloses the agency's plans via Twitter on Wednesday, December 26

MANILA, Philippines – The Department of Health (DOH) is thinking of imposing a selective ban on firecrackers and limiting purchases only to groups. 

Department of Health Assistant Secretary Eric Tayag disclosed through his Twitter account the government’s plans.

Tayag has also asked the public to comment on the government’s plans via Twitter. 


The DOH’s plans were disclosed after Tayag tweeted that firecracker- and stray bullet-related injuries have increased to 72 as of Wednesday, December 26. 

This was a significant increase from Tayag’s tweet 2 days ago which said there were 44 firecracker-related injuries as of December 24, a week before New Year.

Tayag said 71 of these injuries were caused by firecrackers while one incident was caused by a stray bullet. 

This, however, was lower than the 108 injuries caused by firecrackers and stray bullets in December 26 last year. The breakdown of these injuries are as follows:

  • 99 injuries due to fireworks
  • 8 caused by stray bullets
  • 1 caused by firecracker ingestion – Rappler.com