Lapu-Lapu records zero new COVID-19 cases for first time

The City of Lapu-Lapu in Cebu, for the first time, recorded zero new cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, October 10.

This is according to data released by the Department of Health Central Visayas.

The city’s total active cases remained at 89 out of its total 2,397 cases. The city’s recovery rate also remained at 92% with 2,206 recorded recoveries so far.

Lapu-Lapu, an independent highly-urbanized city in Cebu, had been tallying single-digit numbers of daily cases since the start of September. Before Saturday, Lapu-Lapu’s lowest number of new cases was recorded on September 5, with only one additional case of COVID-19.

Lapu-Lapu Mayor Junard "Ahong" Chan, who also contracted and recovered from the coronavirus in June, congratulated residents on his Facebook page.

“Even after hundreds of individuals went through massive swab testing, it’s been confirmed that there is no additional case of the said disease in our city. I am very thankful to the Almighty God for the victory and all the Oponganon that helped pray for this,” Chan said in Cebuano.

Total cases in the city surged around the first week of July when it recorded close to a hundred new cases per day. On July 7, the city recorded one of its highest daily counts – 94 new cases of the coronavirus disease with 816 active cases. 

This rise in cases happened at the same time its neighbor Cebu City had been identified as one of the country’s hot spots for the coronavirus disease. 

With intervention from the national government and the amping up of contact-tracing operations, local government units in Cebu were able to get their COVID-19 cases under control by the second week of August. On August 31, the cities of Cebu, Lapu-Lapu, and Mandaue joined the rest of the island under modified general community quarantine. 

Having been put under the loosest quarantine restriction, the city recently began preparations for the relaunch of its tourism industry. Among the safety measures taken were the mandatory swabbing of tricycle drivers in the area. On October 5, Chan announced that only one out of 600 drivers swabbed tested positive for COVID-19. – Rappler.com