Newsbreak Chats: How gov't is handling the GCTA, BuCor mess
Bookmark this page to watch and join the discussion live on Thursday, September 26, at 4 pm!
MANILA, Philippines – The controversy involving the Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law has moved its focus from convicted murderer-rapist Antonio Sanchez to the shortcomings of the law itself and corruption inside the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor).
But the numerous Senate hearings since the issue erupted seemed to veer away from certain government officials, who formerly headed the controversial government agency: Nicanor Faeldon and now-Senator Ronald dela Rosa. (READ: [EDITORIAL] BuCor Senate hearings: Bakit pinalusot si Bato at Faeldon?)
On Thursday, September 26, the Newsbreak team sits down to discuss the way the government is handling the issue, whether they are on the right track, and what else they need to do to full-proof the implementation of the GCTA law.
How should the accused officials be held accountable? What should the key inclusions in the revised Implementing Rules and Regulations be? Can the BuCor even clean its image?
Watch the discussion live on Thursday, September 26! – Rappler.com
MORE ON 'NEWSBREAK CHATS' IN 2019
- Newsbreak Chats January 2019: Bangsamoro plebiscite, lowering age of criminal liability
- Newsbreak Chats February 2019: Disinformation, elections, and Rappler cyber libel case
- Newsbreak Chats May 2019: Cebu killings, election-related violence
- Newsbreak Chats June 2019: The highs and lows of the Duterte presidency
- Newsbreak Chats July 2019: After Duterte's SONA and Gem-Ver, what now?
- Newsbreak Chats August 2019: The GCTA law, Cardema, Bikoy, and how laws can be twisted
- Newsbreak Chats December 2018: Top stories in 2018, what to expect in 2019
- Newsbreak Chats: Xi Jinping's state visit, Rappler's Fact Check Project
- Newsbreak Chats: Election fever, Cebu as 'crime city'
- Newsbreak Chats: Trillanes' amnesty revocation and arrest
- Newsbreak Chats: Rice crisis, Arroyo as House Speaker
- Newsbreak Chats: Marites Vitug on significance of 'Rock Solid'
- Newsbreak Chats: Anti-tambay campaign, Duterte vs the Church
- Newsbreak Chats: Calida contracts, Cesar Montano, and PhilHealth
- Newsbreak Chats: Boracay closure, Kuwait OFWs, and disinformation
- Newsbreak Chats: Malacañang ban, quo warranto vs Sereno
- Newsbreak Chats: Navy frigates, Russian propaganda