Asian football

Son Heung-min COVID-19 scare as outbreak hits South Korea team

Agence France-Presse, Agence France-Presse
Son Heung-min COVID-19 scare as outbreak hits South Korea team

VIRUS-FREE. Son Heung-min has tested negative for the coronavirus.

Photo by Jung Yeon-Je/AFP

Son Heung-min and the rest of the South Korea football team have been told to stay in their hotel rooms after 6 of their teammates tested positive for the coronavirus

Tottenham Hotspur striker Son Heung-min has been confined to his room when not training after 6 of his South Korea teammates tested positive for the coronavirus on international duty in Austria, officials said Monday, November 16.

Although Son, 28, tested negative, he and the rest of the squad have been told to stay in their hotel rooms in Vienna, unless they are training.

Despite the positive cases, South Korea played Mexico on Saturday, losing 3-2, and is due to face Qatar on Tuesday, depending on the results of a new round of testing.

Kwon Chang-hoon, Lee Dong-jun, Hwang In-beom, Na Sang-ho, Kim Moon-hwan, and goalkeeper Jo Hyeon-woo have all tested positive for the virus, the Korea Football Association confirmed to AFP.

The Qatar game will go ahead if at least 13 players are virus-free in the latest test results, which are due later on Monday, an official said.

Several international footballers have tested positive for the virus in the last week, including Liverpool star Mohamed Salah and Republic of Ireland midfielder Alan Browne.

On Saturday, Son, the most prolific Asian player in Premier League history, set up Hwang Ui-jo’s opener before Mexico ran away with it, scoring 3 goals in quick succession in the second half. Kwon Kyung-won reduced the deficit late on. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.