Lebanon

Deadly shooting rocks Beirut as tensions over blast probe erupt

Reuters
Deadly shooting rocks Beirut as tensions over blast probe erupt

PROTEST. Supporters of Lebanese Shi'ite groups Hezbollah and Amal and the Christian Marada movement take part in a protest against Tarek Bitar, the lead judge of the port blast investigation, near the Justice Palace in Beirut, Lebanon, on October 14, 2021.

Mohamed Azakir/Reuters

(1st UPDATE) As Prime Minister Najib Mikati calls for calm, a military source tells Reuters two people have been killed and seven more wounded

At least two people were killed in Beirut on Thursday, October 14, when heavy gunfire targeted supporters of the Lebanese Shi’ite group Hezbollah, as they headed to a protest demanding the removal of the judge investigating last year’s explosion at the city’s port.

The shooting on a frontline of the 1975-90 civil war marks some of Lebanon’s worst civil strife in years, and highlights a deepening political crisis over the probe into the catastrophic August 4, 2020 blast.

The Lebanese army said in a statement the gunfire had targeted protesters as they passed through a traffic circle located in an area dividing Christian and Shi’ite Muslim neighborhoods.

As Prime Minister Najib Mikati called for calm, a military source told Reuters two people had been killed and seven more wounded.

The shooting began from the Christian neighborhood of Ain el-Remmaneh before spiraling into an exchange of fire, the source added.

Hezbollah’s al-Manar TV said “two martyrs” and a number of wounded had been taken to a hospital in the Shi’ite southern suburbs, indicating that the casualties were Shi’ites.

Bursts of gunfire were heard for several hours, along with several explosions which appeared to be rocket propelled-grenades fired into the air, Reuters witnesses said.

The Lebanese army deployed heavily in the area and said it would open fire against any armed person on the road.

Political tensions over the probe into the port explosion have been building, with the heavily armed, Iran-backed Hezbollah leading calls for Bitar’s removal, accusing him of bias.

Must Read

Tension over Beirut blast probe nudges Lebanon into new crisis

Tension over Beirut blast probe nudges Lebanon into new crisis

The explosion killed more than 200 people and devastated swathes of Beirut.

The standoff over Bitar’s investigation is diverting the newly formed government’s attention away from tackling one of the worst economic meltdowns in history.

The judge has sought to question a number of senior politicians and security officials, including Hezbollah allies, suspected of negligence that led to the port explosion, which caused by a huge quantity of ammonium nitrate.

All have denied wrongdoing.

Though none of its members have been targeted by the probe, the heavily armed, Iran-backed Hezbollah has accused Bitar of conducting a politicized probe only focused on certain people.

These include some of its closest allies, among them senior figures in the Shi’ite Amal Movement who occupied ministerial posts.

A court earlier on Thursday dismissed a legal complaint against the Bitar, documents showed – allowing him to resume his investigation.

On Wednesday, October 13, Samir Geagea, a Christian opponent of Hezbollah, rejected what he described as any submission to “intimidation” by the group, calling on Lebanese to be ready for peaceful strike action if the “other side” tried to impose its will by force. – Rappler.com

Add a comment

Sort by

There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.