Now more than ever, our frontliners need our support.
On top of the still-raging COVID-19 pandemic, the Philippines is starting to feel the repercussions of the climate crisis.
Just recently, a body of scientists convened by the United Nations, called the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, released a major new report that sounded an alarm over the “irreversible” climate impacts done by humans.
Almost two years on, the country also continues to get pummeled by the pandemic. As healthcare workers strain to keep up with rising cases, state auditors recently found “various deficiencies” amounting to P67.3 billion in the health department’s funds, which led to “missed opportunities” in the country’s pandemic response.
Many eligible health workers have also yet to receive their special risk allowance, with a number of frontliners set to hold protest actions in light of the issue.
In the third episode of “#CourageON: Tumindig, Makialam, Kumilos,” we discuss how we can better support our heroes on the front lines as we face both the COVID-19 pandemic and the looming climate crisis.
The community show is organized by Rappler’s civic engagement arm MovePH, which aims to spotlight pressing issues in the Philippines and the ways we can take action on them together.
The third episode titled “Climate crisis and a pandemic: How we can support heroes on the front lines” has two segments and features the following guests:
SEGMENT ONE: Supporting the heroes fighting the climate crisis
- Lea Guerrero, country director of Greenpeace Philippines
- Leon Dulce, national coordinator of Kalikasan People’s Network for the Environment
- Dr. Jorge Emmanuel, member of the science team of No to 174 Dumaguete coalition
SEGMENT TWO: Supporting our medical frontliners
- Robert Mendoza, National President of Alliance of Health Workers
- Clark Trovela, National Chairperson of Philippine Medical Students’ Association
- Dr. Jamie Dasmariñas, Coordinating team member of Bantay Bakuna
The show will be hosted by Rappler’s membership lead Happy Feraren and Rappler’s community head Jules Guiang.
You can also check out the other episodes of the “#CourageON: Tumindig, Makialam, Kumilos” community show here:
- WATCH: #CourageON: Tumindig, makialam, kumilos
- #CourageON: From our ancestral heritage to elections, the issues we shouldn’t forget