Criminal probe vs Paolo Duterte over his SALN – Morales

Lian Buan
Morales also confirms that Deputy Ombudsman Cyril Ramos is handling the investigation, the same deputy who terminated the bank probe into President Duterte’s alleged ill-gotten wealth

INVESTIGATION. Presidential son Paolo Duterte is the subject of a probe by the Office of the Ombudsman. File photo by LeAnne Jazul

MANILA, Philippines – Ombudsman Conchita Carpio Morales said on Monday, June 11, that the criminal investigation into resigned Davao City vice mayor Paolo Duterte involves his Statement of Assets, Liablities, and Net Worth (SALN.) 

“I think it has to do with his SALN,” Morales said in an interview with CNN Philippines on Monday.

Ombudsman records show that there are 5 docketed cases against Paolo Duterte, one is for graft and the other for forfeiture on alleged ill-gotten wealth.

Records also show they are undergoing preliminary investigation

“What I know is that it has not been terminated yet,” Morales said.

Morales stressed that she has inhibited in all Duterte-related cases.

“I do not dare inquire, so many words are heard. So many people are listening so whatever I do would probably be given meaning so I’m very careful not to inquire on the status of the case,” Morales said.

Morales is related to the Dutertes by marriage; Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte’s husband Manases Carpio is her first-degree nephew.

Morales confirmed that the one handling Paolo’s cases is Cyril Ramos, Deputy Ombudsman for military and other law enforcement offices (MOLEO).

“It was raffled to the MOLEO, Deputy Ombudsman Ramos,” Morales said.

Ramos is the same deputy who handled and terminated the bank investigation into the alleged ill-gotten wealth of President Rodrigo Duterte and his family.

The investigation was previously handled by Overall Deputy Ombudsman Melchor Arthur Carandang but it remains unclear how Ramos came to be the handling deputy. 

Morales said the probe was terminated because the Anti Money Laundering Council or AMLC did not cooperate.

Morales said that the AMLC had not launched its own inquiry into the accusation that there was a flow of P1 billion in the Duterte bank accounts over the years, money that is not allegedly declared in the President’s SALN.

“If they had not conducted any investigation, what document would they be giving (to us)?” Morales asked.

The bank investigation stemmed from a plunder complaint filed by Senator Antonio Trillanes IV, which accuses Duterte, among others, of having ghost employees in Davao City while he was mayor.

Last May, the Commission on Audit nudged the Davao City government to comply with long-standing recomendations to account for 11,000 undocumented workers. – Rappler.com

Lian Buan

Lian Buan covers justice and corruption for Rappler. She is interested in decisions, pleadings, audits, contracts, and other documents that establish a trail. If you have leads, email lian.buan@rappler.com or tweet @lianbuan.