OCCIDENTAL MINDORO, Philippines – After surviving the assault of an Chinese boat and staying at sea for 17 days straight, the crewmen of F/B Gem-Ver are now home in San Jose, Occidental Mindoro.
They arrived at the Caminawit port in San Jose around 8 pm Friday.
<blockquote class=”twitter-tweet” data-lang=”en”><p lang=”en” dir=”ltr”>JUST IN: Crew of sunken,abandoned Philippine ship have landed home in San Jose, Occidental Mindoro. <a href=”https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>@rapplerdotcom</a> <a href=”https://t.co/3stkV56wZy”>pic.twitter.com/3stkV56wZy</a></p>— Rambo Talabong (@ramboreports) <a href=”https://twitter.com/ramboreports/status/1139503421361233922?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw”>June 14, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src=”https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js” charset=”utf-8″></script>
The men of F/B Gem-Ver first traveled at sea on May 29 for a fishing trip of at least 15 days. On the 12th day, they were rammed by a Chinese fishing ship which sailed away immediately after. Hours later, they were rescued by a Vietnamese fishing vessel and turned over to the Philippine Navy.
Since then, they had been staying inside the Navy’s BRP Ramon Alcaraz. After days of resting and “debriefing,” they were finally sent home to San Jose, Occidental Mindoro. They were met by their wives who have been restless since learning the news about the incident. (READ: Wives wait in limbo for fishermen of sunken vessel to come home)
The crew’s captain Junel Insigne has asked the public and President Rodrigo Duterte for help after their ordeal. He said he is now afraid to sail again after the incident.
“Baka mangyari ulit ang ganitong pagbabangga (Another one like this might happen again),” Insigne said.
He said they don’t have other livelihood alternatives because they only rely on the sea. (READ: Captain of abandoned PH boat: I’m sure Chinese ship sank us)
“‘Yan lang kasi ang hanapbuhay namin eh. Talagang mapipilitan kaming maghanapbuhay talaga diyan sa dagat (That’s our only source of livelihood. We will really be forced to work there in the sea),” he said.
All except one of the 22-man crew have reached San Jose. Their machine man stayed in the barely floating F/B Gem-Ver for repairs while it is being towed by another fishing boat back to its home port.
The boat is expected to return by Saturday, June 15. – Rappler.com
Read stories related to the incident:
- Chinese vessel sinks Philippine boat in West PH Sea ‘collision’
- Sinking of Filipino vessel ‘a first’ in Philippines-China row
- TIMELINE: Skirmishes, standoffs, harassment in West Philippine Sea
- Hold China accountable, Del Rosario says after sinking of PH boat
- AFP: Chinese vessel’s sinking of PH boat ‘far from accidental’
- Panelo says possible for PH to cut ties with China over boat sinking
- Locsin hits ‘collision’ of Philippine, Chinese vessels
- Locsin on PH boat sinking: ‘Fuck the international community’
- Philippines asks China to sanction Chinese crew of vessel in collision
- LOOK: Philippine fishing boat sunk by Chinese vessel in West PH Sea
- ‘Not a friend’: Netizens hit China over sinking of Philippine boat
- Owner of PH boat sunk by Chinese ship: ‘I only ask for justice’
- Lorenzana now unsure if Chinese vessel sank Philippine boat
- China calls sinking of Philippine boat an ‘ordinary maritime accident’
- WATCH: How alleged Chinese ship sank Filipino fishing vessel in West PH Sea
- 3 speeches in a row, Duterte silent on Chinese ship sinking PH vessel
- China envoy vows probe into Philippine boat sinking
- WATCH: Crew of Philippine vessel rammed by Chinese ship on their way home
- Occidental Mindoro town mayor to Duterte: Let’s speak out against China
- Navy rebuffs China: PH boat sinking ‘not normal accident’
- Lacson, De Lima call for punitive action vs China and its fishermen
- Wives wait in limbo for fishermen of sunken vessel to come home
- Captain of abandoned PH boat: I’m sure Chinese ship sank us
- Recto Bank: Why China covets what belongs to the Philippines
- Arroyo defends Duterte response to Philippine boat sinking