The YouTube channels of ABS-CBN News and the ABS-CBN News Channel (ANC) were inaccessible for several hours on Tuesday, November 3.
Both channels were restored as of 4:15 pm.
Users could not access the channels early Tuesday morning. The error message that appeared on previously posted videos read: “Video unavailable. This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.”
A quick check on the URL also generated a 404 message: “This page isn’t available. Sorry about that. Try searching for something else.”
As of August 16, ABS-CBN News registered 10 million subscribers on the platform.
In a statement, ABS-CBN News said it is "aware of the problem."
"We are currently investigating this and working closely with YouTube to resolve the problem. In the meantime, you can catch our livestreams and news reports on the Teleradyo channel. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
Rappler has reached out to Google, which owns YouTube, but it has yet to reply as of posting.
According to YouTube, if a channel or account is terminated, a user "may be unable to use, own, or create any other YouTube channels/accounts.”
“When a channel is terminated, the channel owner gets an email explaining the reason for the termination,” it added.
On September 3, the news website of ABS-CBN was temporarily down in the Philippines. It was, however, found accessible via Safari and gadgets with VPN.
At the time, ABS-CBN said it detected a "technical problem" and was looking into the matter.
Camille Elemia is Rappler's lead reporter for media, disinformation, and democracy. She won an ILO award in 2017. She received the prestigious Fulbright-Hubert Humphrey fellowship in 2019, allowing her to further study media and politics in the US. Email firstname.lastname@example.org