Tension between the Philippines and China continues to rise in the West Philippine Sea.
On Thursday, August 19, Rappler editor-at-large Marites Vitug talks to retired vice admiral Giovanni Bacordo, former chief of the Philippine Navy, about dealing with Chinese incursions in the West Philippine Sea.
Bacordo served as flag officer-in-command of the Philippine Navy from February 2020 until his retirement in June 2021. He was the commander of the Philippine Fleet, overseeing Navy’s assets and sailors.
What are the most difficult challenges faced by the Philippine Navy? How do they compare to the maritime assets of other countries in Southeast Asia? – Rappler.com
Watch previous Southeast Asia Speaks episodes:
- UN’s Olivier Lermet on the illegal drug trade amid pandemic
- Ex-DOH chief Manuel Dayrit on lessons from global responses to COVID-19
- Lawyer Peter Robinson on hurdles faced by ICC
- Political scientist Mark Thompson on the Philippines under Duterte
- Marine scientist Deo Onda on protecting West PH Sea resources
- Walden Bello on Rodrigo Duterte and fascism
- Analyst Joshua Kurlantzick on what ASEAN can do vs Myanmar coup
- Analyst Ben Bland on China’s pandemic diplomacy
- Antonio Carpio on West PH Sea and leading a political movement
- Lawyer Ruben Carranza on what new ICC prosecutor means for the Philippines
- Journalist Gwen Robinson on the future of Myanmar
- Ambassador Gerard Ho Wei Hong on Singapore’s leadership during COVID-19 pandemic