MANILA, Philippines – Eddie Redmayne won the Best Actor Oscar at this year’s Academy Awards, held Sunday, February 22 (February 23 in Manila). The actor picked up the award for his role as Stephen Hawking in The Theory of Everything.
“Please know this, I am fully aware that I am a lucky, lucky man,” he said, gasping. “This Oscar belongs to all of those people around the world battling ALS. It belongs to one exceptional family Stephen, Jane, Jonathan, and the Hawking children,” he said, thanking co-star Felicity Jones and director James Marsh, as well as others behind the movie. He also thanked his wife, saying that a new fella was “going to share their apartment.”
Eddie beat out Benedict Cumberbatch, Michael Keaton, Bradley Cooper, and Steve Carell for the honor in one of the year’s toughest categories. In The Theory of Everything, Eddie plays the great living legend Stephen Hawking, following his story from his years as a student through his diagnosis of motor neuron disease at just 21. The film explores his relationships and the ups and downs of his brilliant career.
“When I read the script I was astonished at what this man has experienced, and done, since 1963. It was one of the most inspiring things I’d ever read. Stephen Hawking is an icon of hope,” said Eddie in a release.
“But this movie is also about the human being behind the icon,” he said. “When we meet him in this story, he is 21, and so vibrant and athletic. He goes on to live a full life with a twinkle in his eye, and continues to do so. There are different sides to him: the wit, the brilliance, the stubbornness…I got the impression that he had a rock star personality.”
This is the first Oscar nomination and win for Eddie, who also earned a BAFTA, a SAG award, and a Golden Globe for the same role earlier this year. – Rappler.com
- IN PHOTOS: 20 Best dressed, Oscars 2015
- Oscars 2015: 8 sweetest couples
- IN PHOTOS: Red Carpet, Oscars 2015
Acting Category Winners:
- Oscars 2015: JK Simmons wins Best Supporting Actor
- Oscars 2015: Patricia Arquette wins Best Supporting Actress
- Oscars 2015: Eddie Redmayne wins Best Actor
- Oscars 2015: Julianne Moore wins Best Actress
More Oscars 2015 on Rappler:
- Oscars 2015: 10 unforgettable moments
- FULL LIST: Winners, Oscars 2015
- Oscars 2015: Watch Neil Patrick Harris in awesome opening number
- Oscars 2015: Meet ‘Glom Gazingo,’ or John Travolta, presented by Idina Menzel
- Oscars 2015: Watch Maroon 5’s bathroom ‘Lost Stars’ rehearsal
- Oscars 2015: ‘Birdman’ wins Best PictureLIVE UPDATES: Oscars 2015
- FULL LIST: Oscar 2015 Nominees
- 10 things to look out for on Oscars night
- 9 fun facts about the 2015 Oscars
- Too white, too male: Oscars accused over nominees
- Neil Patrick Harris to host 2015 Oscars
There are no comments yet. Add your comment to start the conversation.