COVID-19

Bishop Alminaza has second brush with COVID-19: ‘I’m OK so far’

Inday Espina-Varona
Bishop Alminaza has second brush with COVID-19: ‘I’m OK so far’

SAFE. Bishop Gerardo Alminaza's Laudato Si photo challenge posted on his Facebook page on September 7, 2021

Courtesy of Bishop Alminaza

The bishop says he got swabbed because he was scheduled to have a cataract removal operation on September 20. He is asymptomatic.

San Carlos Bishop Gerardo Alminaza confirmed reports he has tested positive for COVID-19 again – just three months after getting infected in June this year. 

Reverend Father Marjun Almario, Chancellor of the San Carlos Diocese, which includes Negros Oriental towns and cities, announced Alminaza’s test results on Sunday, September 19. He said the bishop was asymptomatic. 

Alminaza told Rappler he got swabbed because he was scheduled to have a cataract removal operation on September 20, at 2 pm.

“This was canceled due to the positive result. Thank God, I am ok and asymptomatic so far,” he said.

The Archdiocese of Manila announced that Archbishop Jose Cardinal Advincula had tested positive for COVID-19 last week.

Almario asked people who may have interacted with the bishop in the past few days “to observe home quarantine and cooperate with the authorities for proper health protocols.”

“We ask for everyone’s prayers for his fast healing as well as for other COVID-19 patients. Let us continue as well to pray for those in the frontlines who are constantly taking risks to care for us,” he added.

Alminaza was hospitalized with symptoms during his first infection but remained “stable” throughout his 14-day quarantine.

Two other priests of the diocese also tested positive for COVID-19 that time.

San Carlos City is in the far northern part of Negros Occidental. Alminaza’s diocese  includes towns and cities in Negros Oriental.

Towns and cities in the far north of Negros Occidental are struggling with a surge in COVID-19 cases. Negros Oriental has also reported increasing cases.

In Toboso town, 40 kilometers south of San Carlos, 11 of 40 COVID-19 patients  have died between September 5-19. Mayor Richard Jaojoco said all were unvaccinated individuals.

The province announced six new deaths  on Sunday, September 19. The Department of Health in Region 6 (Western Visayas) said Negros Occidental had 278 new cases and 2,798 active cases. 

Bacolod City had 128 new cases and 1,903 active cases. – Rappler.com