Ramon “The Bicolano” Gonzales (4-4) failed to shake off his slump as he tapped out in the opening round against Eko Roni Saputra (4-1) in the closed-door ONE Championship: Inside the Matrix II event on Friday, November 6, at the Singapore Indoor Stadium.
The 33-year-old Filipino got outclassed on the ground by the Indonesian wrestler, who punished Gonzales’ sloppy attempt to get back on his feet and ended the night early with a rear-naked choke.
After winning 3 straight bouts, Gonzales dropped his last two fights. In November 2019, the three-time national kyokushin champion bowed out against Chinese fighter Getu Hexi via unanimous decision.
Saputra, on the other hand, grabbed his fourth straight victory inside the cage, which all ended in the opening round.
In a stunning turn of events in the championship bout, reigning welterweight champion Kiamrian Abbasov (23-4) survived and defended his title as he scored a 4th-round knockout victory against previously unbeaten American James Nakashima (12-1).
Nakashima had the upper hand in all 4 rounds as he slowly punished Abbasov with his clean jabs – which broke the champ’s nose – and leg kicks.
But the champion found an opening late in the 4th round and landed a knee on Nakashima’s chin that eventually gave Abbasov the comeback victory.
Meanwhile, in a clash of top lightweight contenders, Timofey Nastyukhin (14-4) let his relentless offense dictate the pace to pick up a decision victory against Pieter “The Archangel” Buist (16-5).
Nastyukhin, who immediately called for a title shot after the fight, looked like a war machine, throwing loaded punches and shooting vicious takedowns in all 3 rounds.
Buist activated his offense and checked the Russian’s gas tank in the final round, but Nastyukhin kept his engine going and heavily slammed Buist in a move that locked his lead in the scorecards.
It was the second straight victory for Nastyukhin, who came from a knockout win against veteran fighter Eddie Alvarez.
- Welterweight world championship: Kiamrian Abbasov (KYR) defeats James Nakashima (USA) via 4th-round technical knockout (3:27)
- Lightweight: Timofey Nastyukhin (RUS) defeats Pieter Buist (NLD) via unanimous decision
- Flyweight: Yuya Wakamatsu (JPN) defeats Kim Kyu-sung (KOR) via 1st-round knockout (1:46)
- Flyweight: Eko Roni Saputra (INO) defeats Ramon Gonzales (PHI) via 1st-round submission, rear naked choke (4:07)
- Atomweight: Meng Bo (CHN) defeats Priscilla Hertati Lumban Gaol (INO) via 1st-round knockout (1:26)