In her speech, Megan said she promise to be the “best Miss World” and she is fulfilling her promise with the activities she has been doing for the organization.
As she crowns her successor on Sunday, October 12 for Miss World Philippines and with her reign ending in December as Miss World, we look back at some of the highlights in Megan’s year as Miss World. (WINNERS: Miss World Philippines 2013)
1. Megan is crowned Miss World Philippines 2013
2. The send-off to Miss World
Miss World Philippines franchise director Cory Quirino gave Megan a send-off party, where she told Megan that Miss World chairman Julia Morley was looking forward to meeting her.
3. International stage: Miss World
From the very start, Megan was one of the popular girls to watch out for. She was a consistent placer in the pre-pageant activities such as the beachwear and top model categories, which she won.
4. Victory: Megan wins Miss World 2013
On September 28, Megan won the Miss World crown over 126 candidates, becoming the first Filipina to win the title in Bali, Indonesia.
5. BBC interview
Megan appeared in a BBC interview last year, where she talked about the importance of Miss World in the 21st century. She was also part of the BBC’s 100 Women Series which aired in October 2013.
After winning the crown and adjusting in London, Megan came back to the country for her homecoming in October 2013. She met with politicians who gave her various recognitions. She also made a courtesy call to President Benigno Aquino III.
7. Haiti charity work
Megan along with Miss World chairman Julia Morley went to Haiti for a series of charity activities. Unfortunately, it was cut short, when the floor of the orphanage they went to collapsed. Megan escaped unharmed while Julia and a boy were treated immediately after the incident.
8. Yolanda charity work
After Typhoon Yolanda hit parts of the Visayas region, Megan immediately flew back to Manila to help through the Philippine Red Cross. She also sought donations when she appeared on various TV guestings in the US and UK.
9. Traveling with Miss World
Aside from the charity work with the organization, Megan also goes around the world participating in the crowning of the representatives for the Miss World competition. Among the beauty pageants she went to include Miss Indonesia 2014, Miss Russia 2014 where she met Miss Universe 2013 Gabriela Isler, and Miss India 2014, where she met Miss World 1997 Diana Hayden.
10. Megan gets a stamp
In March, Megan was honored with a limited collection of Philippine stamps showing her win as Miss World 2013.
11. Indie movie
Prior to winning the pageant, Megan did an indie film called Bang Bang Alley which was shown in April.
12. Doing good things for others
Megan continued to do more charity work, visiting countries such as Colombia and Barbados, where she also had the opportunity to enjoy the places. She also co-hosted the Mr. World pageant last June, where the candidate from Denmark won.
13. Star Magic Ball
In September, Megan made an appearance in the Star Magic Ball, wearing a stunning Leo Almodal gown. On behalf of Miss World, she accepted a donation from ABS-CBN for its projects.
14. Endorsements and magazine covers
With her win as Miss World, Megan also scored magazine covers and endorsement deals. She appeared in Cosmopolitan Philippines and Vietnam, Mega Magazine, Women’s Health Philippines, People Asia, and Metro Magazine. She is also the face of Security Bank and was recently introduced as a Palmolive girl.
15. Crowning her successor
Megan is set to pass her crown to the new Miss World Philippines on October 12 at the Mall of Asia Arena. The winner will compete for the title of Miss World 2014 in London this December.
More Miss World 2014:
- LIVE BLOG: Miss World Philippines Coronation Night 2014
- Megan Young clarifies ‘extended’ work with Miss World
- Predictions: Who will be Miss World Philippines 2014?
- In Photos: Ms World PH 2014 candidates in glamorous gowns at gala night
- Full rundown: Miss World Philippines 2014 candidates
- In Photos: Miss World Philippines talent show 2014
- In Photos: Look back on Megan Young’s year as Miss World 2013
- Valerie Weigmann joins Miss World Philippines
- FULL LIST: Miss World Philippines 2014 candidates
- Roxanne Cabanero explains decision to quit Miss World Philippines
- Roxanne Cabanero pulls out of Miss World Philippines
- Roxanne Cabanero talks about why she’s joining Miss World Philippines 2014