This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
MANILA, Philippines (UPDATED) – Axed prisons chief Nicanor Faeldon packed his bags immediately after his firing Wednesday night, September 4, and was supposed to head home to Mindoro early morning of Thursday, September 5.
“He is homeless. They will stay in the meantime in his wife’s house in Mindoro with their 3-year-old daughter and 1-year- old son,” Faeldon’s spokesperson Jose Diño told Rappler in a message early morning Thursday.
But Faeldon showed up at the Senate Thursday afternoon for the continuation of the hearing into the aborted release of convicted murderer and rapist Antonio Sanchez.
Diño said they just didn’t know this schedule beforehand.
“Bumalik na po siya, kaya po puro putik ang sasakyan namin (He returned that’s why our cars are muddy),” Diño said.
Faeldon said he had “never been happier,” but refused to answer further questions, saying he would hold off issuing statements until the Senate terminates the investigation.
“I’ve never been happier than now. Kapag nawalan ka ng yoke sa balikat mo (When you get rid of the yoke on your shoulder), you can soundly sleep,” a smiling Faeldon told reporters when asked how he had been since President Rodrigo Duterte sacked him.
WATCH: “I’ve never been happier than now, kapag nawalan ka ng yoke sa balikat mo, you can soundly sleep,” said Nicanor Faeldon as he showed up at the Senate after his firing. @rapplerdotcom pic.twitter.com/jb7T28W9Bs— Lian Buan (@lianbuan) September 5, 2019
Faeldon had a simple thanksgiving gathering at the Office of the Director General at the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) midnight and immediately left for Mindoro, said Diño.
“His final words to his staff – do not cry, do not be sad, we were gifted with an opportunity to serve our country. We should thank the Lord and PRRD for that gift,” Diño said, adding that he had been asked by Faeldon to oversee the turnover of the office.
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra has yet to appoint an officer-in-charge for BuCor.
“Terminating Director General Faeldon is an initial step to prevent the spread of a dangerous wildfire,” Guevarra said.
He refused to elaborate.
“(Guevarra) is a man of character and knowledge. We respect him,” Diño said.
BuCor Spokesperson Eduardo Del Rosario said they would be waiting “within this day” the appointment of an OIC.
President Rodrigo Duterte fired Faeldon Wednesday night, September 4, and called for an Ombudsman investigation over the aborted release of convicted murderer and rapist Antonio Sanchez.
“My commander-in-chief/appointing authority has spoken. I am a Marine and a Marine does as he is told. I most humbly bow to my commander-in-chief’s order without any hard feelings,” Faeldon said later.
Asked if he had lost faith in Faeldon, Duterte evaded and said “it is a matter between” him and the sacked BuCor chief. (READ: ‘Obviously lying’: Senators don’t believe Faeldon)
Faeldon previously resigned over the shabu smuggling scandal under his leadership at the Bureau of Customs.
Duterte later reappointed him to the Department of National Defense-Office of Civil Defense as deputy administrator and then later as BuCor chief. – Rappler.com
Read related stories: