Presidential Assistant for the Visayas Secretary Michael Lloyd Dino confirmed past midnight on Monday, February 15 that he tested positive for COVID-19.
“I was exposed to a positive individual and am under isolation after testing positive on Feb 14, Sunday, for SARS-CoV-2,” Dino said.
“I am urging those who have come in close contact with me recently to have themselves tested for probable infection with COVID-19,” he added.
Dino’s office is based in Cebu City and is active in coronavirus response in the Visayas region.
Cebu City has consistently ranked the highest number of daily new coronavirus cases over the past week.
Researchers from OCTA have raised the alarm over the surge of cases in Cebu City and the province.
On Tuesday, February 9, Talisay City Mayor Gerald Anthony “Samsam” Gullas also tested positive for the virus.
As of Sunday evening, February 14, Cebu City reported 218 new coronavirus cases, bringing the active cases to 2,993 out of a total 14,822 cases.
Department of Health Central Visayas officials previously said they were not discounting the possibility that the more infectious UK variant of the virus was already present in Cebu, although the Philippine Genome Center has not yet detected the variant in any of the 70 samples recently sent from Cebu. – Rappler.com