The extent of businessman Michael Yang’s influence on the government of his long-time friend President Rodrigo Duterte is coming into light.
A series of Rappler investigative stories found that Yang’s businesses grew under the Duterte administration, while his influence has led to billions-worth of pandemic contracts being awarded to a young company linked to him. While Yang, a Chinese national, was under contract as presidential adviser, an intelligence report by a police operative linked him the illegal drug trade – a lead that Duterte readily dismissed.
On Thursday, September 30, Newsbreak, the investigative arm of Rappler, will discuss the ties that bind Duterte and Yang, and how these directly impact the President’s governance.
Joining investigative editor Miriam Grace A. Go will be editor-at-large Marites Vitug and reporters Pia Ranada, who covers the presidency and has investigated Yang, and Lian Buan, who covers the anti-corruption agencies. – Rappler.com
Watch other Newsbreak Chats episodes in 2021:
- August 2021: Maling paggasta, sayang na pera sa gitna ng pandemya
- July 2021: Pangakong napako, probinsiyang nadaya
- June 2021: Usap-usapan, kampi-kampihan para sa 2022 halalan
- May 2021: Duterte’s China policy is setting the Philippines up for failure
- April 2021: Military priority: Community pantries or China ships in West PH Sea?
- March 2021: What went wrong in the Philippines’ pandemic response?
- February 2021: A closer look at Duterte’s drug war files, anti-communist budget
- January 2021: Discovering Cebu