It was a scene worthy of Game of Thrones.
House Speaker Alan Peter Cayetano managed to wrestle and keep his powerful position out of reach of Marinduque Representative Lord Allan Velasco, despite President Rodrigo Duterte hoping the Taguig congressman would give way to Velasco.
To top it off, Duterte himself did not seem to mind the manuever.
So who was in control? Has Duterte become a lame-duck president, unable to impose his will on his Congress allies? Or were the events that unfolded to his advantage?
Rappler Malacañang reporter Pia Ranada speaks to veteran journalist and Duterte biography author Earl Parreño about the part Duterte played in the latest Speakership saga.
Seat of Power is a Rappler podcast about the Duterte presidency.
Listen to other Seat of Power episodes:
- Episode 1: COVID-19 ward doctor assesses Duterte’s pandemic response
- Episode 2: Duterte’s hands all over ABS-CBN franchise rejection
- Episode 3: The frightening future of Duterte’s anti-terror law
- Episode 4: Duterte’s 2020 SONA in 5 minutes
- Episode 5: What happens if Duterte gets COVID-19?
- Episode 6: Duterte, Trump, Bolsonaro: The ‘medical populists’
- Episode 7: Pandemic leadership: Duterte vs Leni
- Episode 8: Duterte’s secretive Malacañang
- Episode 9: Duterte’s vaccine dreams vs reality
Listen to Rappler’s podcasts on Soundcloud, Spotify, Google Podcasts and Apple Podcasts.