This is AI generated summarization, which may have errors. For context, always refer to the full article.
President Rodrigo Duterte has had many tussles with the Senate, but his October 4 memo, according to senators, has brought the stand-off to another level.
Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon calls it “patently unconstitutional.” The memo orders Cabinet members to snub Senate hearings on the Pharmally controversy and pandemic procurements.
It’s an escalation of Duterte’s allergy to a critical Senate. This Seat of Power podcast episode dives deeper into the memo and what it says about Duterte’s leadership style.
Listen to other Seat of Power episodes:
- Episode 1: COVID-19 ward doctor assesses Duterte’s pandemic response
- Episode 2: Duterte’s hands all over ABS-CBN franchise rejection
- Episode 3: The frightening future of Duterte’s anti-terror law
- Episode 4: Duterte’s 2020 SONA in 5 minutes
- Episode 5: What happens if Duterte gets COVID-19?
- Episode 6: Duterte, Trump, Bolsonaro: The ‘medical populists’
- Episode 7: Pandemic leadership: Duterte vs Leni
- Episode 8: Duterte’s secretive Malacañang
- Episode 9: Duterte’s vaccine dreams vs reality
- Episode 10: Duterte’s role in the Cayetano-Velasco Speakership tussle
- Episode 11: 4 reasons why Duterte’s ratings are still high
- Episode 12: ‘Corruption crackdown’ by a master of spectacle
- Episode 13: Covering a President who lies
- Episode 14: Tarlac shooting: Blood on Duterte’s hands
- Episode 15: Unpacking the PSG vaccine mystery
- Episode 16: China’s new Coast Guard law and Duterte
- Episode 17: Duterte’s VFA threats: Negotiating tactic or rash outburst?
- Episode 18: Is Duterte responsible for ‘Bloody Sunday’?
- Episode 19: What is Duterte’s actual role in pandemic response?
- Episode 20: Duterte, despite bluster, makes big climate pledge
- Episode 21: A conversation with Lieutenant General Antonio Parlade
- Episode 22: Rodolfo Biazon on what the President should keep to himself
- Episode 23: 2022 political moves start now
- Episode 24: Duterte supporter on why President still popular on last year
- Episode 25: What will Sara decide?
- Episode 26: Jess Dureza on how Duterte leads the Cabinet
- Episode 27: Who is editing out key portions of Duterte speeches?
- Episode 28: Who is Michael Yang?