Everyone from Cabinet members to Malacañang reporters were surprised to find out that a political statement made by President Rodrigo Duterte during a taped meeting was edited out of aired footage last Tuesday, August 24.
The statement – that he and his longtime aide Senator Bong Go would not run in 2022 if Davao City Mayor Sara Duterte runs for president – carried some political implications, whether or not you believed the President.
The incident brings to mind other instances when controversial remarks by Duterte were spliced from footage shown to the public.
Who is behind these video edits?
Why are they tampering with the President’s speeches, and do they have the permission of Duterte himself, notorious for being allergic to efforts to control his mouth?
Rappler’s Malacañang reporter Pia Ranada tries to answer this question in this new episode of Seat of Power, a podcast about the Philippine presidency.
Listen to other Seat of Power episodes:
- Episode 1: COVID-19 ward doctor assesses Duterte’s pandemic response
- Episode 2: Duterte’s hands all over ABS-CBN franchise rejection
- Episode 3: The frightening future of Duterte’s anti-terror law
- Episode 4: Duterte’s 2020 SONA in 5 minutes
- Episode 5: What happens if Duterte gets COVID-19?
- Episode 6: Duterte, Trump, Bolsonaro: The ‘medical populists’
- Episode 7: Pandemic leadership: Duterte vs Leni
- Episode 8: Duterte’s secretive Malacañang
- Episode 9: Duterte’s vaccine dreams vs reality
- Episode 10: Duterte’s role in the Cayetano-Velasco Speakership tussle
- Episode 11: 4 reasons why Duterte’s ratings are still high
- Episode 12: ‘Corruption crackdown’ by a master of spectacle
- Episode 13: Covering a President who lies
- Episode 14: Tarlac shooting: Blood on Duterte’s hands
- Episode 15: Unpacking the PSG vaccine mystery
- Episode 16: China’s new Coast Guard law and Duterte
- Episode 17: Duterte’s VFA threats: Negotiating tactic or rash outburst?
- Episode 18: Is Duterte responsible for ‘Bloody Sunday’?
- Episode 19: What is Duterte’s actual role in pandemic response?
- Episode 20: Duterte, despite bluster, makes big climate pledge
- Episode 21: A conversation with Lieutenant General Antonio Parlade
- Episode 22: Rodolfo Biazon on what the President should keep to himself
- Episode 23: 2022 political moves start now
- Episode 24: Duterte supporter on why President still popular on last year
- Episode 25: What will Sara decide?
- Episode 26: Jess Dureza on how Duterte leads the Cabinet