On June 30, 2022, at the stroke of noon, Rodrigo Duterte will cease to be Philippine president and will hand the reins to Ferdinand Marcos Jr. In the days leading to the presidential inauguration, Rappler looks back at Duterte’s legacy and what his six-year term meant for the Philippines.
This page features new in-depth reports, analyses, interviews, videos, and more about Duterte’s presidency. New content will be added all the way to June 30. A section at the bottom shows a curated list of Rappler’s stories from past years during Duterte’s term.
Democracy Under Duterte
A man who ruled his southern city with little opposition became a president with little tolerance for, and understanding of, dissent, criticism, media, and democratic institutions meant to check his powers.
His promises swept him into the presidency, made our country and broke it, and present new challenges for the next leader.
The Leader, the Man
He was a colorful character, a force of personality, who changed the presidency because the presidency could not adjust to him.
Curated Archive of Rappler In-Depth Stories About the Duterte Presidency
Duterte and His Alter Egos
- Evolution of the Duterte Cabinet
- The many times Duterte and his Cabinet members contradicted each other
- The Davao boys are alright
- Medialdea’s balancing act in Malacañang
- The man they call Bong Go
- Duterte and the West Philippine Sea: A strategy of failed compromises
- Duterte foreign policy: Independent but isolated
- Duterte keeps Filipinos under threat in West Philippine Sea
- When Duterte meets with Xi: What West PH Sea deals were reached in past talks?
- The sinking of Gem-Ver: Barko! May babanggang barko!
Drug War and Deaths
- Killed, buried, exhumed: Drug war victims still find no peace in Duterte’s Philippines
- In Duterte’s drug war, justice ‘nearly impossible’
- The Impunity Series
- A bloody trail: People we lost under Duterte
- How Duterte’s love affair with China shaped PH economy
- Revise, Revise, Revise: Duterte’s Build, Build, Build list evolving up to the end
- ANALYSIS: Dutertenomics a success? Data was cherry-picked
About this series
Project Lead: Pia Ranada
Writers: Michelle Abad, Jairo Bolledo, Lian Buan, Mara Cepeda, Bea Cupin, Dwight de Leon, Jodesz Gavilan, Bonz Magsambol, Pia Ranada, Aika Rey, Ralf Rivas, Sofia Tomacruz, Loreben Tuquero
Interviews: Pia Ranada, Lian Buan
Editors: Miriam Grace A. Go, Mia Gonzalez, Chay Hofileña
News Editor: Paterno R. Esmaquel II
Head of Production: Lilibeth Frondoso
Reporters’ Review Producers: Rambo Talabong, Nick Villavecer
Production Specialists: Naoki Mengua, Franz Lopez, Jeff Digma, Errol Almario
Video Editors: Emerald Hidalgo, Jaena Zaplan, Exxon Ruebe
Rappler Creative Director: Emil Mercado
Graphics and Design for Special Coverage: Raffy de Guzman, Janina Malinis
Tech Team: Gemma Bagayaua Mendoza, Patrick Santos, CJ Maglunog, Paul Fernandez