This interview is part of Rappler’s series on the 10th anniversary of Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan).
Yolanda was one of the most powerful typhoons in history to hit land on November 8, 2013. The super typhoon claimed thousands of lives and displaced millions from their homes. Ten years later, Rappler visits some of the affected communities to see what life has been like since the disaster.
TACLOBAN, Philippines – Ten years ago, a typhoon of devastating proportions made landfall in Eastern Visayas, putting Tacloban City, one of the hardest-hit areas, under the global spotlight.
The city mayor then is its mayor now, Alfred Romualdez.
Rappler’s Pia Ranada speaks with Romualdez a decade after Super Typhoon Yolanda (Haiyan). The mayor is asked about how his city has changed since the calamity and what he is doing about the numerous problems that beset housing sites built by the government for survivors.
Romualdez is the second cousin of President Ferdinand Marcos Jr., whose mother, the former first lady Imelda Marcos, hails from Tacloban City.
This interview was recorded on October 3 at Tacloban City Hall and is being aired on the week of Yolanda’s 10th anniversary.
Bookmark this page and watch the interview at 6 pm Tuesday, November 7.– Rappler.com
ALSO ON RAPPLER
- After Yolanda: A causeway threatens efforts by locals to restore a mangrove forest
- PANOORIN: Mga Kuwentong Yolanda
- Call her Landa
- After Yolanda: A teacher’s dream for the children of Guiuan
- 10 years on, Yolanda survivors grapple with memory, delayed recovery
- Rappler Talk: Guiuan’s decade of recovery after Yolanda
- WATCH: How the people of Eastern Samar take care of the environment
- Rappler Recap: ‘Work is not done,’ Marcos says of Yolanda recovery
- Rappler Recap: Tacloban residents light candles for 10th year of Yolanda
- On Yolanda’s 10th year, groups urge gov’t to ‘hold big polluters accountable’
- Marcos resurrects issue of ‘uncounted, unrecorded’ victims of Yolanda
- A decade later: 15% of Yolanda houses unfinished, thousands unoccupied
- [Under 3 Minutes] Kumusta na ang Yolanda housing projects?
- Part 2: Water, electricity issues bog Yolanda relocation plans